Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

(OT) What are you doing this weekend, besides egging?

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,617
    No plans at all. Stuck working all weekend, Mrs. G is out of town for trade shows (Chicago and then Philly). Probably sit on my porch, drink a cold one or two and pretend that my dog is actually smart enough to play fetch. maybe I'll fire up the Egg, but just haven't had the motivation to cook for one.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Letz4wheelLetz4wheel Posts: 231
    @eggcelsior I could probably ask my mother what all that means (she worked for an on/ gyn for years) but I ain't gunna :)
    Southern Indiana
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 824
    @eggcelsior, advanced congrats, and prayers for a smooth, healthy delivery process. My wife went natural with 2 of our 3. I agree men are wimps on the pain side of things.
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,271
    Doing an overnight fishing trip on a friends boat. It's big. image
    Can I go!
    :D

Ricky

Spring, TX

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,712
    check out the Pelican elite marine coolers if you're looking at Yeti.  They cost about 1/3 less and I think the design and materials are better.  I have the 45 qt.  It was $220 when I bought it.  Holds ice for 11 days, great for FTC. 

• MJGMJG Posts: 151
    Thanks for the tip @nolaegghead. Those look real nice. Trying to see if I can find a local retailer. If not Amazon Prime can have it to my house in 2 days. Looking at the 65...this one is actually bigger than Yeti's 65, made in the USA, and lifetime warranty. It's also about $85 cheaper...
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
    edited July 2013
    I've been using pelican cases for years.  The military uses them for everything.  The clasps and handles on the Pelican, in my opinion, are superior to the Yeti.  There's no metal in it that isn't stainless.  Only problem, they're really heavy and big for the capacity.

You'll notice they draw a vacuum when they're closed with ice.  The seals are phenomenal.

The 45qt I have actually has an interior volume of 50 qts.  They understate the specs.

I just leave it outside in the sun all the time.  So far, no visible wear from the elements.  They're designed to handle it.

• henapplehenapple Posts: 12,161
    I recently purchased a Bruteccooler. It held ice for 2 days... Sent it back to the factory and customer service proceeded to get snappy with me...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

• MJGMJG Posts: 151
    No worries on it being heavy. It won't travel too far from my back deck. Cold beer is really important to me.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 509

Friends coming over Saturday for some egging (burgers, twice baked taters, and corn)... then Sunday going to Centre Island Toronto and it is all for the kids (two girls under 5)...

Not my kids... just photos from the website.

Large BGE

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    BigWader said:

Friends coming over Saturday for some egging (burgers, twice baked taters, and corn)... then Sunday going to Centre Island Toronto and it is all for the kids (two girls under 5)...

Not my kids... just photos from the website.

Sunday should be a great day for going over to the island.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

@TexanoftheNorth - thank goodness the humidex is dropping tonight.  I was dreading 34 (feeling 46) but we'll now probably have every other person in Toronto with the same idea!

This will be my daughters last trip to Centre Island.  At 4 1/2 she stands 46 inches tall and she's a thrill seeker so the next theme park will be Wonderland where we step up to the better rides.

Large BGE

• hapsterhapster Posts: 5,614
    I've been using pelican cases for years.  The military uses them for everything.  The clasps and handles on the Pelican, in my opinion, are superior to the Yeti.  There's no metal in it that isn't stainless.  Only problem, they're really heavy and big for the capacity.

You'll notice they draw a vacuum when they're closed with ice.  The seals are phenomenal.

The 45qt I have actually has an interior volume of 50 qts.  They understate the specs.

I just leave it outside in the sun all the time.  So far, no visible wear from the elements.  They're designed to handle it.
    Outside with ice and beer in it? How long would the ice last in it with it being in the sun all day? Do you cover it with anything to keep the direct sunlight off of it?
    hapster said:

Outside with ice and beer in it? How long would the ice last in it with it being in the sun all day? Do you cover it with anything to keep the direct sunlight off of it?
    Don't need to cover it.  It's white, so that helps, but mostly the 2" thick insulation and fact it's air tight - in the insulation cavities and inside the cooler.  The enemy to ice is opening it.  If you fill it up with ice and beer, it can still have ice after 10 days if you don't open it.  If you open it all the time, the ice will melt faster. 

From Pelican:

Pelican ProGear™ 45QT Elite Cooler
    32-45Q-MC-WHT

• 7-10 day ice retention*, freezer grade gasket, 2" polyurethane insulation
    • Dual Handle System (Molded-in & Hinged Handles)
    • Press & Pull Latches (Wide for Gloved Use)
    • Molded-In Tie Downs
    • Non-Skid & Non-Marking Raised Feet
    • Molded-In Lock Hasp, Stainless Steel Plate
    • Sloped Drain & Tethered Threaded Plug (Garden Hose Attachable)
    • Corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel Hardware
    • Integrated Fish Scale on Lid
    • Guaranteed for life
    • Assembled in the USA with US and foreign components

Exterior Dimensions:
    29.66" x 20.00" x 19.25"
    (75.3 x 50.8 x 48.9 cm)
    Interior Dimensions:
    19.00" x 12.00" x 12.00"
    (48.2 x 30.5 x 30.5 cm)

Weight: 35.95 lbs. (16.31 kg)

*Ice retention - Initial test results are based on the Pelican 65Qt Elite Cooler model. Testing was conducted using forced air circulation in a temperature controlled environmental chamber at 90 degrees F. The test specimens were loaded to capacity with commercial cubed ice. Performance will vary by model size and external user conditions, such as; (sun exposure, wind, ice type, frequency of opening, etc.).

• AviatorAviator Posts: 1,485
    I hate all of you. I have to work.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapplehenapple Posts: 12,161
    Aviator said:

I hate all of you. I have to work.

I'll be knocking off a bottle of 15 year old Glenfiddich... @Aviator, sorry dude... It sucks to be you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 824
    @skinnyv, didn't know you lived in the PNW.
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,911
    edited July 2013
    Yeah live outside downtown. Traffic will drive u nuts .
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,046
    edited July 2013
    I don't know why but I'm still working!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • tyenic1tyenic1 Posts: 147
    Me and two old high school buddies are headed to the Denver area and spending a couple days golfing and catching a Rockies game.
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,173
    Family coming up from S Tex. Probably egg Sunday breakfast for sure and possibly Saturday night
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    SkinnyV said:
    Yeah live outside downtown. Traffic will drive u nuts .
    BIL lives in Maple Valley.   Last time we went up there for a vacation, we were scheduled to fly there 2 days after 9/11.  We lost a couple days because of the grounding.   Beautiful area. 

• MickeyMickey Posts: 14,996
    Headed back to Texas from Seaside, FL (800 miles ) Saturday.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,639
    Working all weekend.

LBGE,SBGE Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 4,626
    edited July 2013
    Saturday AM I'm going to attempt a Rutland installation.  Family commitments the balance of the weekend.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,004
    Damn. Some guys are fishing (Travis - Nola's right, I hate you too), others are waiting for a new life to come into this world (all the best 'Celsior) others are hiking, boating, camping, cooking or working on cargo bikes (whatever the hell that is). 
    I'll be ripping off old cedar shakes, installing plywood and laying some fiber glass shingles on my storage shed. Working on my roofer's tan. 
    Weather will be great, egg will be close, ribs prolly. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,678
    I have man days once a month. Friends come over, we put up a he man women haters club sign. We bbq and watch a manly movie or two. Tomorrow were doing stuffed burgers and watching the last castle