Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Aging it in the fridge?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
There was a post recently about letting a brisket age ( a few weeks) in the fridge before cooking it.  Does that sound right?  I would love to do this if it would help it become more tender but I'm worried about the meat spoiling.  Any thoughts?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Was it in the cryo?  I do that all the time, without spoilage, but it's more for convenience than to improve the meat.  

I think, as long as you're buying choice or better, tenderness is going to mainly depend on your low and slow method and not pulling it before the meat passes the fork test.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Where are you getting the brisket and how will it be packaged? I think you'll need to have an idea of when the brisket was originally butchered (i.e., how old it is vs. how long since you bought it).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Wet aging is fine in the cryovac package.  I'd advise against dry aging - moisture loss is your enemy on low n slow cooks.   You can go long beyond the "best by" date.
    I age mine in the frig when its cryovac'd. Ive just had better luck with the tenderness but may just be lucky.

Little Rock, AR