Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Ketchup

ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,274
Anyone try it? Hung with a chef from NYC this past weekend and we discussed smoking stuff a lot. He said he loves to smoke ketchup. Thinking I will give it a shot. Ehh?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
·

Comments

• It's worth a shot. Let us know how it turns out.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,843
    We make homemade ketchup all the time. I have tried roasting and smoking the tomatoes first and it wasn't bad but didn't add anything great.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,980
    he smokes ketchup, or makes ketchup with tomatoes cooked on the smoker?
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,274
    Should have elaborated. He smokes Roma tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, etc. Tosses them in food processor with " a lot of $hit" in his words. Said everyone loves it. I have hit him up for more specifics and will try it and give my review this week.
    ·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 873
    @lit, what recipe do you use to make the ketchup?
    ·
    We use the recipe from thrive its raw/vegan. 4 dried dates, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 cup sun dried tomatoes, quarter cup chopped onion, quarter cup agave nectar, quarter cup hemp oil, 2 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp oregano and salt to taste. We make it in the vitamix but any processor should work. Its hard to eat store bought ketchup after trying this.
    ·
    Lit said:

Its hard to eat store bought ketchup after trying this.

Exactly what the chef said. I will hopefully have his recipe this week and will share it.

·
    @chubbs, would looooooove that recipe. My wife has been wanting me to make ketchup for a while.
    ·

@chubbs, would looooooove that recipe. My wife has been wanting me to make ketchup for a while.

On it buddy!
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Dribble some truffle oil in... Smoke the potatoes, season the ketchup
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Sounds good, I can't wait to try this! I have made homemade ketchup before and it was pretty good. I am eager to try a different recipe though.
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,089
    Sounds like maybe y'all were smokin' something during that discussion, Chubbs
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
    I think I should get a tattoo that say "I <3 eggheadforum.com"
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    You've piqued my attention. Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) the recipe.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    thetrim said:

Sounds like maybe y'all were smokin' something during that discussion, Chubbs

Probably were, but that is another story. Regarding the ketchup he emailed me ingredients last night but no real measurements. He said he makes it in bulk obviously so he is going to try to send me a broken down version for household use. Looks straightforward though. Smoke the veggies, peel the skin, add in food processor with sea salt , pepper, all spice, cumin, brown sugar, cider vinegar, worcheshire , nutmeg, chili powder...
    ·
  • I am looking forward to trying this as well. The true test will be can I convince the kids to like it better than the processed crap they are used to.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    i like the idea, could make it nice like a lugers sauce for the summer tomato salads would take salad to a bbq level
    ·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    Homemade ketchup is killer.  My wife puts ketchup on her ketchup and she won't eat the store-bought stuff anymore.  Never thought about smoking ketchup, though.  I'll certainly have to give this a try.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,584
    I would like to learn to make my own...because so many recipes for BBQ sauce start with ketchup!  I sometimes wonder what the point of making your own sauce is if you are starting out with processed crap as a main ingredient.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    @chubbs, dude epic fail. Where are the details on this? ;)
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,367
    Would cold smoke work on these ingredients?

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
    @hotch, good question, if Chubbs would respond we would know wouldn't we ;)
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Hotch said:
    Would cold smoke work on these ingredients?
    Yes.  Cold smoke doesn't penetrate the skin on veggies very well, you'd have to cut them up first.

·
    If so, might be time to build cold smoke box.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

Prosper TX

·
    Eh, in my opinion just get the Amaz-N-smoker, cheap, easy.
    ·

Cold smoking is a perfect excuse for a 2nd egg.

·

See that!! I knew I needed a mini.........

Prosper TX

·
    Sorry folks. I wrote down his ingredients but am on vacation. I will send it out when I get home. I am pretty close above.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Build a box.  And get a second egg.  So you can cook on one egg and smoke using the other.

·
  • SmyrnaGASmyrnaGA Posts: 290
     1) Plastic bottle of Heinz + a few drops of liquid smoke.
     2) Wrap in a big towel.
     3) 30 minutes in the dryer (COLD setting).
     4) Done.

(just kidding)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

·