Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cook suggestions welcomed

all, I have been given this Stuffed chicken and while it sounds good, I am not 100% sure how to cook. 

I was thinking indirect at 350 for an hour maybe 1.5 until I hit an internal temp of 165? 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's a tough one....I'd see if you couldn't untie it without loosing all the stuffing to get the legs away free so they can cook faster than the breast/body.  Cook until the breast is 160, legs and thigh hopefully 175-180.  I would imagine they stuffed it in the body cavity.   Also, you want to make sure the stuffing is over 140 for 12 minutes to kill any salmonella.  That shouldn't be a problem.
    I WOULD DO HIM INDIRECT 350-375 AND DEPENDING ON SIZE 60 MINUTES OR SO.  stuffing WILL MAKE HIM COOK LONGER THAN A REGULAR WHOLE ONE.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    With the body cavity stuffed, you are probably looking at 1 1/2 hours.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If it has the skin on, I would try 375°F and cook to temps stated above. Pulling the legs away from the body may help them cook quicker. Also if your egg runs hot in spots, you can try to position the lower half of the bird over that spot. My large runs hotter towards the hinge in the back, so I'll cook birds indirect, with the lower half of the bird pointing towards the back.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Well, it's on the large right now. It was boneless with ace potion of the wings. Egg sitting at 350 and will pull when the internal is above 140 according to my trusty thermapen.

Thank you all I really appreciate the help and wisdom on this site!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Make sure the breast is 160...the 140 stuffing is really just a safety minimum.
    10-4! Thank you.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'd stick the chicken in several places.  Easy for the breast to be 160* in some places and 10* colder closer to the inside. 

I like to warm the stuffing before actually putting it in the bird.  Probably wasn't going to happen with a pre-stuffed bird.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    I ended testing it in multiple location and most places read 165 or more so i puller it. it was awesome. i would post a picture but the vultures swarmed and destroyed it quickly, it was really good.