Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Logistical question

Options
Cooking another Porkapillar tonight.  I also want to do 20 jalapeno poppers (boat-cut, filled with whipped herb cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, natch).  Porky usually cooks ultra-raised direct, with smoke, at 375-400 for 90-120 minutes.  Poppers, as I understand, cook at about 350 indirect for an hour.

Poppers are for an appetizer; Porky is dinner.  I figure I should just pop on my tri-level rack, put Porky up top and the poppers on the level below, and just pull the poppers after 40 minutes.  Does that sound feasible to everyone?  Will the smoke mess with the poppers too much (I use a decent chunk of applewood for Porky)?  Is that too high/too direct/too long for the poppers?

If it was just the wife and I, I'd just go for it and not sweat the results, but my buddy and his wife are excited to try the Egg, so I want to be a good ambassador.

Thanks!

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I suppose I also could cook them sequentially, but I'd prefer to avoid that.

• 69BBQcrew
    69BBQcrew Posts: 12
    Options
    I've had them from a firebox smoker before and they were very good.
    LBGE 2013
    Weber Genesis series 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Is there some way to cook the pork raised direct and the ABTs above it essentially using the pork to create an indirect zone?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I think it sounds like a fine plan.  I might consider going indirect but I'm sure direct would be fine.  If you go direct, you might need to turn the poppers more often.  Since you got your porkapillarin technique down using raised direct I suppose you may not want to mess with the technique used to cook the star of the show ;)

I wouldn't worry about too much smoke on the poppers. The poppers are good nice and smokey in my opinion and apple is pretty mild so I think they will be great. 

Good luck! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @69BBQCrew:  that solves the biggest logistical problem!

@FredFlintstone19:  I suppose I could put the Porkapillar on the second level of the tri-level rack and the ABTs on top.  That might work, but I worry about the bacon crisping up well when the 'pillar's not up by the dome.

@SmokeyPitt:  I'll have to think about it a bit, but I'm leaning toward just turning the poppers more, like you suggest.

Thanks, everybody!

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Ended up setting things up on the tri-level, direct around 370.  Porkapillar (this one was so big that we decided it might actually be a Porknado) up top; poppers under it.  Everything turned out great, except one popper was tragically taken by a flare-up.  To make sure there was enough pork, I also included a slice of capicola in each popper.

Here's the Porknado.  It's filled with whipped cream cheese and fresh herbs (thyme and garlic chives, wilted spinach, chopped apples, and smoked gouda.  We ate it too fast to take plated pics, but we served it with Southern-style kale (slow cooked with lardons, apple cider vinegar, etc.) and barley pilaf.