Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best better-late-than-never B'day present ever!

Options
The other half, #1 son and DIL chipped in for this:image
Yep it fit under the top cabinets
Maiden Cook, Tomato Soup
Steeping herbs and spices in chicken stock 

Soup served with dollop of crema mexicana
The soup was very tasty.  We will be making this soup again and again.  The VitaMix is everything and more.(kicks KA blender to the back of closet).   Just a little tweeking and we will have a great no cook pizza sauce.  I am going to have fun with this new gadget ;-))
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks cool!

Have fun and happy birthday!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Thank you hapster
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    This is awesome. Great looking post, you can do so much with the right stuff. Love our Vitamix. Has the power and finesse to really make cooking interesting, you will love it!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    that looks chingon....got a vitamix myself..will have to try something similar. I've been reading about using the egg to roast chilies...looks like I'll give it a try this weekend
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Happy Be-lated Birthday!! That soup beats Campbell's hands down any day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Austin  Egghead
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks Grif, was a lot better tasting than Campbell's. They were my customer when we lived in CA. It is amazing how many food and wine companies have HPLCs and GCs
    @sodig. Once you roast chiles on the egg you won't go back to the stove. You develop some really complex flavors, not just a char
    @skiddy, thanks. Do you have any vita mix recipe to share? I can see this and the egg will make great cooking partners.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Now that you've VitaMix you should put one of these on your wish list.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks Grif, was a lot better tasting than Campbell's. They were my customer when we lived in CA. It is amazing how many food and wine companies have HPLCs and GCs
    @sodig. Once you roast chiles on the egg you won't go back to the stove. You develop some really complex flavors, not just a char
    @skiddy, thanks. Do you have any vita mix recipe to share? I can see this and the egg will make great cooking partners.
    How about a few more details on your creation? :)

I've had mine since about three weeks before Christmas and still not happy with my Tortilla Soup recipe. The guy who did the demo  made an incredible batch. I watched him make a few things, and asked about the recipes. He said all were included in the book that came with it, so I didn't pay very close attention.

What a mistake! Recipes in the book were completely different from what he did, and not nearly as good. Went back to another demo and it was a different guy. He followed the booklet recipe and it wasn't as good.

The sequence of what goes in when at what speed for how long is very important

I need to get back to experimenting. I worked on the infamous "green smoothies" for awhile and got bunt out.
    South SLO County
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Everyone I know who has a Vitamix really loves it.  Congrats!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

I could also use some recipies if anyone is willing to share. We have got the smoothy and peanut butter down, but would like to try soups or pizza sauce but don't know how.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I need to get trained up onthe GC here at work so I can go find a job somewhere else. Like a wine company. Or beer. Or bourbon. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Hey @Griffin, don't forget what happened to Norm when he got his "dream" job.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Nice!  Love my vitamix.. use it for all sorts of stuff, and seeing it used in tandem with the egg is a beautiful thing!
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    OK - I'll share my most frequently used recipe.

Pay close attention to the sequence and quantities.....

10 oz Jose Cuervo Margarita mix
    2 shots of decent Tequilla (and just a splash more)
    2 shots Triple Sec 
    Juice of half a lime
    TINY slice of Orange (optional)
    Ice to bring up to the 6 Cup mark

Start on medium speed and slowly increase to "Insane"
    If too thick, add a bit more Margarita mix

Pour into LARGE Margarita Glass (Salt optional)
    :):):)
    South SLO County
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    you mean, if too thick, add more tequilla ;)
    Options

I don't remember that episode, what happened?

And that wouldn't be my dream job. My dream job would be a hotel/resort critic writing for a travel magazine traveling to far flung reaches of the globe visiting beautiful spots, with some restaurant/bourbon/beer/movie critic work on the side and moonlighting as a mattress tester.

Rowlett, Texas

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Griffin said:

I don't remember that episode, what happened?

And that wouldn't be my dream job. My dream job would be a hotel/resort critic writing for a travel magazine traveling to far flung reaches of the globe visiting beautiful spots, with some restaurant/bourbon/beer/movie critic work on the side and moonlighting as a mattress tester.

Norm gets a job as a beer taster at a local brewery. Needless to say, things don't work out so well.

Actually, I remember reading an article years ago about "dream" jobs. Someone suggested Chairman of the IOC. Your's sounds pretty good too!
    Options
    I saw the title and was expecting to see a Ferrari or a boat in that first picture,  ;)

Soup looks good. 
    My wife makes makes soup and I'll have to suggest the idea of fire roasting veggies on the egg for her to use.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Austin Egghead - Care to share your recipe. We have a ton to fresh tomato's and need to do something with them and this looks really good. 

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I was eyeing the Vitamix at Costco recently. Quite a piece of blenderware!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    We got our Vitamix back in February, really enjoy using it. Make almond butter, hummus, smoothies (which turn into popsicles), coconut milk. Haven't tried the soups yet though. Oh yea, wife also makes baby food now.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Griffin said:My dream job would be a hotel/resort critic writing for a travel magazine traveling to far flung reaches of the globe visiting beautiful spots, with some restaurant/bourbon/beer/movie critic work on the side and moonlighting as a mattress tester.
    You left out Eggfest judge...  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Austin  Egghead
    edited July 2013
    Options
    @ everyone....there was no recipe for this...I just threw it together. The spices I used in the chicken stock were dried herbs and spices. Best as I can remember: Todd's Low Down Dirt, Mrs Dash, Aw Sh*t, McCormick Salad Supreme (it was there and I used it), Italian seasoning, dried Basil, Chipolte Pepper, Worcestershire sauce, 2drops of Mirin, and maybe scant tablespoon of Rice Wine vinegar.
    Pretty sure that is all i used...I didn't put up the spices and herbs last nite..still on center island. BTW way I almost added a little Expresso just for Mickey.....he has me using that stuff in a lot of my cooks lately..
    As far as the VM, "all else had not failed" just winged it. Instructions and cookbook still in the shrink wrap.
    Forgot the red pepper flakes
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Nice gift. Can't imagine not having mine!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio