Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin and Grains 'o'Paradise

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight Mr. Egg did me proud. My friendly butcher cut me some 1 3/4 inch sirloins (NY strips) As the Little Woman doesn't appreciate too much spice in or on her food I ground up a tablespoon full of GOP and covered half of the steak for me. Wasn't really sure about the cook time so I guessed and dang! Mr. Egg did it! 4 min. per side at 650* then a 9 min 'rest' everything closed.
When I removed my steer meat it was perfect. Warm and red on the inside.
The GOP weren't quite as spicy as I had thought they might be though they gave me a wonderful "zip" (it's the only word I can think of) and the flavor was so different I was pleased beyond reason. The Little Woman tried a piece of mine and wanted more. She, like me, had anticipated a lot more "spice"...
I'm a happy Member of the Cult of the Egg.
Thanks to you all. Hope the weekend was as good for you as it was for me and TLW.
HApy Fourth

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sundown, ya make my mouth water with that one. Your GOP report is similar to other's in regard to the bite. Not tried here yet so thanks for the update.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Sundown,
    Great report!!
    Supposedly the grains of paradise loose a lot of spiciness when cooked. The Spice site I posted before mentions putting on toward the end of the cook, or afterwards. Maybe put half on before, and ha;f on at the end, and see if yo notice a difference.[p]Just bought ME a nice porterhouse steak (figgered I'd try one of those steaks from free-roaming steroid/hormone free cows) for lunch tomorrow after I get this mega-job out the door. Have a gorgeous Alaskan Halibut Steak for tonight.[p]Yaba daba doo.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ