Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT Home Theater Help Needed!!!!

rholtrholt Posts: 368
Alright fellas. After all the great info I received with my TV mounting question I figured I would stick with a good thing. So here is the deal. I have a closet with cable and an hdmi cable. The hdmi cable is wired to the back of my tv. I plan to have a TiVo set that will use the hdmi and cable in the closet to broadcast on the tv. Now the question is what do I use to control these components wirelessly? I have heard about IR repeaters. IR blasters. Universal remotes with RF capabilities. Please help me sort this out.
·

Comments

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 993
    I'd guess IR repeater is the simplest solution, but I'm neither an expert nor familiar with your exact hardware/setup...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    something like this: here

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,209
    If your gear is in a closet, without direct line-of-sight, you'll need either an RF solution (radio) or an IR receiver (infrared, requiring line-of-sight) sticking out in the open somewhere.  
    Come join my gang of HT fanatics here:  www.theaudioannex.com  They can answer the RF questions much better than I; I have everything out in the open and use IR (via a Logitech Harmony One remote).  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,386
    I have a URC (universal remote control) that is rf- I can use the remote outside about 40-50 feet and it works fine. You will also need one of their control boxes. Not a cheap method but does give you flexibility- especially if you added a receiver and some speakers.
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • eddieproeddiepro Posts: 42
    This is a little pricey, but it works amazing for my set up. Great universal remote with pass through capabilities. Can be found cheaper than Amazon.

·
  • SoCalWJSSoCalWJS Posts: 258
    Is your Tivo RF capable? (I'm not a Tivo person - no clue on whether they are or not)
    ·
  • avibugavibug Posts: 106
    I keep my components in a closed cabinet, and use one of these to relay the remote signals: 

• rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I will go with the pyramid thing that @avibug suggested. One review said that it specifically worked with a TiVo so thus my choice. Thanks again for all the input guys.
    ·