Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Napa Valley

2»

Comments

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Sterling - completely different experience (tram ride to the top of the hill) and some very good reserve/small batch wines as well.
    South SLO County
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Go to my forum name - Tulocay. Small winery with great wines. Give them a call and they will accommodate. They don't have regular tastings, but when they pour, it is large!!,!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    There's a curved road/pedestrian road that goes through downtown Napa, and on the southwest end of it, in the north east corner, was a fantastic place that I can't remember the name of (it's been years).  It had a homemade gnocchi that were, and still are, the best I've ever had; light as marshmallows.  
    I really miss my job that had me going TDY to California all the time... 
    :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Ferrari Carrano = Amazing!!!
  • We enjoyed silver oak. Expensive but very healthy pours on the tour. Well worth it. Newton was quite nice as well. Can't wait to go back enjoy!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Status Winery in St Helena. If you like after diner wines their Madera is the best! Cake bread winery good one too.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Been a long time since I've been, but I really enjoyed the Coppola winery. Might be worth a look. Mumm is also pretty cool and a nice change of pace to see/try something different. 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Hope and Grace is a great little salon for tasting in Yountsville, right near Bouchon Bakery. They are a smaller branch of Hendrickson.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I visit my sister out that way from time to time. I'm not a 'winer' and liked the Christian Bros. tour because they had the most 'flavors' to sample and that helped edjukate a newby. From there we got 'jiggy' with just about any vineyard that would let us in, they're all good. And go up to Calistoga if you want to fly around in a glider, saw Robin Williams there doing that but that's been ages ago now. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Status Winery in St Helena. If you like after diner wines their Madera is the best! Cake bread winery good one too.

It is Sattui winery....darn auto correct
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

this is really cool.   Heard a lot of winery's that we have been to and also enjoyed - Heard a lot of winery's that we have not been too but are now on our list.

There are so many options - well, we will work our way through as many as we can.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum

Finishing up at the office.  Dinner in town tonight - then flying out to the Valley.

Thanks all for the recommendations and ideas.   Will raise a glass to you at our first tasting...

Cookin in Texas
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Quintessa-
    Greensboro, NC
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited July 2013
    Let us know where you end up @boatbum, we're all living vicariously now (haha).
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • I would check out Chimney Rock, off of the Silverado trail.  Awesome Cabs!!

The best lunch in Napa is at Taylor's Refresher on Hwy 29.  just look for the line of people.  It is a burger joint, looks like it is out of the 50's.  they have some great wines by the glass, but I always go for a beer while there, nice break after hitting up a bunch of wineries.
    LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories
  • boatbum
    Today has been in depth research at Stag's Leap, Caymus, and Round Pond. We had been at Round Pond on previous trips- swore that we were not doing any repeats - but hey - we love their wine. We bought cellar stock at all - I think our fav was a reserve cab that we got some of at Round Pond. Love the hotel we are at - first time staying here. Bardissonma -- something like that - in Yountsville. Great place. Would highly reccomend ---- except - some stuff about no cigars on property!!!!!! Nah - sorry - after dinner tonight I will have a nice cigar that I found today. Ok- guess I should shower or something before dinner.....
    Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    love this hotel. have been sitting in the sauna for 20 minutes, then took a shower in the courtyard. wow.
    Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum

So many people chimed in - offered suggestions - I need to report the results.

Friday was at Stags Leap, Caymus, and Round Pond.

First two were ok - not wild about them.   But it was early in the trip.   We had said we would not go back where we had been before - however, leaving caymus, drove by Round Pond and pulled in.   Just good energy there I guess.   Went in, they welcomed us without reservations and we spent and hour or so tasting wine.   Left with a carton of favorites.  Love that place.

Saturday we started in the morning.  First stop was Domain Carneros.   Stayed 20 minutes, view was wonderful, gardens fantastic  -- wine was so so.    Had seen Cuvaison across the road, told our driver to take us over there.

Loved it.   Had the wines previously - once again - no reservations - walk up - they welcomed us and we spent an hour tasting and buying.   Went to another near by place (Artemis???  was for the architecture - nice view) - then off to lunch.

After lunch, Joseph Phelps.   Really liked this place.  Felt their Cab's were comparable to Jordan ( which we love) but at 2/3 the price point.  

The concierge had booked us at this castle tour - castello di Amorosa.   Our driver said after a couple of hours - he didn't really think we would like it for a 90 minute tasting and tour.   HE was right.   We drove up there - got out of the car walked around for 15 minutes saw the castle and left.   When you are driving in and they have people in the driveway for crowd control - there might be an issue.   I think there was a 1000 people there.

From there we went to Failla.   Was more or less a house, we sat in the living room and talked about wine for an hour.  WOW.   YEs WOW.   A must see in Napa.  

Left there and went to Revana.   Once again - WOW.   Their Cab is over the top.   Pricy wine - 200 a bottle range - but WOW.

Friday afternoon and Sat we tasted some really good wine.   Shipped home 30 some odd bottles I think.

Couple of observations for anyone visiting Napa soon.

Ate at Bottega Friday night.   Was ok, could take you to 5 places in DFW with better food.   Not bad, but not memorable.

Stayed at bardessono in Yountville - yeah - this place rocks.   Back there in a heartbeat.  Loved it.

Reservations at winery's for tastings.  Our driver had a great tip, walk in with out a reservation and say " had one of your wines at dinner last night, thought we had to buy some before we left the area"  -   yeah - you are golden at that point.

In Yountville - Thomas Keller has a bakery - Buchon.   Walk up in the morning, pastry and coffee.  They have a crème brulee donut.   Oh yes, I think it was an orgasmic experience.

French Laundry was closed that week - so nothing there for us.

Mustards - fifth or sixth time we have eaten there, better every time.

Great trip - love the area.

Thank you for all your input and help with planning our activities.

Cookin in Texas