Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Advise

Options
SmokingInMO
SmokingInMO Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This might be common practice but I had never thought of it. My daisy wheel gets gacked up after many cooks and gets a little hard to open but I had never done anything about it. I was talking to a friend today and he said that after he got done cooking he put the rain cap on and then placed and stored the daisy wheel in the egg. The residual heat bakes off the bad stuff and it stays nice and dry until the next cook. <slapping myself on forehead for not thinking of that>

Comments

• Inna Avrelina
    Options
    Your friend told you the truth.
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    I always store mine in the egg, and it does keep it dry and generally rust-free, but it does not burn off all the gook. It helps, but you have to put it in there during a high-temp cook to really burn it off. Great way to slow down the process of it "gacking" up.
    HS

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Matt,
    yes, that works - the only draw back that I don't like is it burns off the paint on Miss Daisey so she will have a rust appearance more often then not - especially here in the sometimes wet flatland states you and I live in. Iffin that doesn't bother you then so be it.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.