Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket Questions, any guidance?

With all the talk of briskets, I am attempting my first brisket this weekend. A few questions:

1) Should I put rub on the night before in the fridge or right before?

2) Do most people put the fat side up or down? Does fat side down protect some meat from drying out? Read a lot of conflicting thoughts.

3) Planning on FTC the brisket for several hours when it is done, does anyone put anything extra (beef broth or anything) in the foil help keep it juicy??

Probably basic questions, just an egg/brisket newb and trying to learn as much as possible.

Thanks!!!!
Ames, Iowa

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Oak for smoke... around 225 to 250

Sea salt, ground peppper, and either onion or garlic salt. Right before going on is fine.

I always go fat side down. When I FTC or FTO(foil pan in an off oven covered with towels) I don't add anything

I like the KISS method

Good luck. Have fun. Post pictures

H
  • JPakaPope
    JPakaPope Posts: 32
    Thanks H! Will definitely post pics...success or failure!!!!
    Ames, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have only done a couple and they were flats and had mixed results. Hap gives good advice and you could search for @CenTex post or the Travis method, these guys are the resident brisket pros. Are you doing a flat or a packer?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JPakaPope
    JPakaPope Posts: 32
    Mattman- it is a small (12 #) packer....I've got oak chunks to add to the lump. Appreciate the advice! JP
    Ames, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2013
    I would either salt and pepper or use Byron's Butt Rub and cook at about 250-275 Start checking for tenderness at about 190ish. I use either my thermometer probe or a skewer. When you can probe and the resistance is like butter you are ready to pull and FTC. I learned the importance of oak and at least 1hr FTC from reading CenTex instructions. Keep in mind I am no brisket pro yet.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Watch trimming too much cover fat off of the flat side!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Good luck and, we'll be looking forward to hearing how things turn out.

Remember to slice across the grain.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice/help.
    Ames, Iowa
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Salt and pepper only right before tossing it on on the Egg. No need to let it come to room temp for an hour, I go straight from the fridge to the counter, 50/50 salt and pepper and right on the Egg fat side down.

Post oak for that Central Texas flavor, mesquite for South Texas. Mesquite is mo betta. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings