Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Jury Duty? Tell Us About It.

Options
2»

Comments

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    Called twice served once.  Funny how my whole mindset changed when I was in the jury room.  10 times out of 10 I would say this dudes a dirtbag and should be sent to jail.  But in the jury room I was actually standing up for the dude.  I wouldn't let the other people roll their eyes and say pshhh guilty without saying WHY they thought he was guilty.  I ended up voting not guilty on 2 of his felony counts. 
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Having been a reporter, I covered more than one murder trial. Defense attorney, a PD, grabbed me at lunch break to find out who I was and why I was in the courtroom during my first murder trial. He then ran his defense past me. I said no way. In front of the judge and jury he then claimed it was an accident, but if it wasn't, it was self defense. All the idiots weren't in the jury box.
    For some reason, I have never sat on a jury, but have spent days waiting to be called.
    Have fun
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I just got an invitation today from the state to spend every Thursday for 3 months on a grand jury.  I'd do it, but I travel some for my job so I'm going to ask to be excused if they need me every Thursday, not just most Thursdays.

Interesting that the summons was hand delivered by an officer from the Sheriff's dept.  All other jury notices I received have been via the mail. 

I've never been picked.  I must look like Uncle Fester.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    If you don't want to be selected wear a suit with a crisp shirt and tie. You will be home by lunch.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Six weeks on a civil real estate deal. Very interesting and learned a lot. Verdict for the defendant.

Eight weeks on a death penalty murder trial. A guy killed a 12 yr old boy then cut him up and encased him in concrete. There are pictures in my head that I'll never be able to get rid of. Guilty +death sentence.

Two and a half weeks on a hit and run case where a 20 something girl driving a Prius with her boyfriend in the car hit an 80+ old man and killed him. Guilty

Drug possession case. We found him guilty, but what we didn't know it was his third strike. Automatic 25 to life.

I feel I've done my civic duty in this department. Once the attorneys find out that you've been on a jury and you came to a decision regardless of the outcome they want you. They don't want to go through the whole trial to have a hung jury and have to start over. When I was on the murder trial it started with a jury pool of 1400 people. I'm looking at this sea of people thinking there's no way I'm getting picked. Next thing I know I'm in the box with my right hand up getting sworn in.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    37 and I bet I have been called 5 times minimum- first 2 I was in college so got out. Last time served on child molestation case- no fun. Wanted to strangle the guy from the jury box- wish death penalty had been an option.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I've never been called. A good friend of mine has. He retired to Texas after a 28 year career as a police detective in New York. To his amazement a defense attorney allowed him to stay on a jury in a murder case. His peers made him the foreman. Defendant was found guilty.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Been called a few times, but always dismissed. The last time was for multiple murders. They asked me if he was found guilty, could I have an open mind about the sentencing. I said no, murder = death penalty and I wouldn't want anything less. I think they would have dismissed me, but during a recess, the guy got cold feet and took the plea bargain.

The money they paid me didn't even cover parking and lunch, let alone gas. What a deal! Oh well, still got paid at work. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings