Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wooden EggCarten?

Has anyone thought of doing one of the EggCarten's out of wood?  Anyone have any thoughts positively or negatively about that?
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've been considering it.  I think you could make one with plywood or solid wood edge glued.  I probably would have done it had I a mini. 

Its been done, but it would be cool to see what others can come up with. I think the greeneggers forum has some threads about a carrier for under $20. Search for mini transporter or mini carrier.

After hearing about the cat wheelchair, I'm rooting for ya nola! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    edited July 2013
    It appears, from the pictures I see, the EggCarten is made out of sheet metal or a very thin aluminum and bent.  I may just go with the cheap 'boxy' carrier that was on the old forum until I can buy an EggCarten in August.

If I go with a wooden carrier and add feet to the bottom of my egg should I be ok with that much heat on around the wood?
    Anderson, SC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    heres one with storage, have seen another with removable legs to lift it up to grilling height

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=140217&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

Yes my wife, (she is the family carpenter) has made 2 wooden carriers. One for the small BGE & one for the mini. They work great. You can sort of see the mini carrier in this thread...3rd pic down...http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1238576&catid=1#

Much better pics here..http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=814021&catid=1

• r270ba
    Thanks guys.  Think I have a direction now!  Well two directions I guess.  Want the EggCarten but might have to settle for wooden right now.  SWMBO would probably kill me if another eggcessory comes home any time soon :))

FYI...I did speak with the EggCarten folks through email and they have a couple of Smalls 'in stock'.  I think I read that the guy was moving and wouldn't start making any more until August but they do have a couple of Smalls.
    Anderson, SC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This is what I used before getting my Carten. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    I just talked with Steve yesterday and he had 2 Mini's left. One was being bought by my friend here in Seaside to put this new baby in. Slewis87@msn.com image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I would like to buy an eggcarten for my small if he has one available. How do you get in touch with him? @mickey

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• r270ba
    This is who I got a response from:

lakelewis@yahoo.com
    Anderson, SC

• Mickey
    shtgunal3 said:
    I would like to buy an eggcarten for my small if he has one available. How do you get in touch with him? @mickey

Slewis87@msn.com

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Here is my old wooden one. I made it to it fit in my table and was removeable so it was pretty handyimage.image

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Thanks guys. I'll email him when I get home tonight.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I use this with my small