Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter needed?

New BGE'er...  Do I need a plate setter for smoking meats?  I don't plan (as of yet) to do any pizzas on there (Paleo family).  
What other accessories do you recommend as 'must haves?'  
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    You need a plate setter for any type of indirect cooking. I use mine on 90% of my cooks.
    Thermapen is a great accessory.

Duncan, SC
  • A platesetter is not needed, but you absolutely need some way to cook indirectly! Before throwing down your money for a platesetter, ask yourself if you would be interested and willing to spring for an Adjustable Rig from www.ceramicgrillstore.com. If not, get a platesetter. If going the AR route, get their stones too. They're top notch!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I also use a PS on nearly all my cooks. It has a lifetime warranty from BGE and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I have not tried the Adj Rig though. 
  • I also use my platesetter on most cooks.  +1 on the thermapen.  If you plan on alot of low and slows a maverick et732 is a good investment.  Lets you monitor your egg when doing other things around the house or getting a good nights sleep.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• The only reason I mentioned it was its a common lament from AR users. The platesetter does not work with an AR so many AR users regret the unnecessary purchase of the platesetter.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Shrek
    Shrek Posts: 67
    Thanks for all the comments.  For those using the Plate Setter to smoke, you're not using a drip pan or water?  I see that as a benefit to the rig @Fred19Flinstone mentioned
    My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    The only reason I mentioned it was its a common lament from AR users. The platesetter does not work with an AR so many AR users regret the unnecessary purchase of the platesetter.
    Depends on the size.. on my XL the plate setter works fine in tandem with my AR, but I've heard smaller eggs do not
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Shrek said:
    Thanks for all the comments.  For those using the Plate Setter to smoke, you're not using a drip pan or water?  I see that as a benefit to the rig @Fred19Flinstone mentioned
    you'll probably want to use a drip pan with the plate setter. make sure that you put some spacers between the drip pan and the plate setter to prevent liquid (either drippings or liquid you add yourself) from burning. FWIW, I don't add liquid to my drip pan; just use it to catch drippings.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Plate setter is my most important accessory and bought it the day I bought my Egg.  Of course like others have said, most of my cooks are indirect, probably around 75%.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• JaredMD said:

The only reason I mentioned it was its a common lament from AR users. The platesetter does not work with an AR so many AR users regret the unnecessary purchase of the platesetter.

Depends on the size.. on my XL the plate setter works fine in tandem with my AR, but I've heard smaller eggs do not

Excellent point! I thought I read the OP had a large, but it doesn't say. My bad! BTW, I have an XL with an AR and I use my platesetter a bunch!
    Flint, Michigan
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    If you want an easy cleanup, cover you platesetter and line your drip pan with aluminum foil. After cooking, toss away the foils.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I would suggest a thermapen for quick temperature checks.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I got a LBGE about 3 months ago and part of the combo I bought was the plate setter. I've only cooked two out of six cooks without it thus far. I didn't use a pan with the ribs I did, but did with the much longer pork butt cooks (though you can cook butt more quickly at a higher temp, even indirect). I had a Thermapen and think its key. A dual probe thermometer to leave in the meat and on the grid is handy. I'm eyeing the PSWoo3 from Ceramic grill works. Not cooking specific but imperative and fits well are the stock BGE ash pan and tool.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    There is no need for any water to put put in the egg.  Food comes out excellent without it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I own two LBGE's and the one Eggcessory I bought a second version of was my Platesetter. I have actually used two at the same time more than I imagined I would. 

I use foil drip pans on shims if there are drippings to be caught. Never use any liquid in a pan when cooking with my Egg.

Another +1 to the Maverick ET-732 and a good instant read thermo. I also get a lot of use out of my BGE Pizza Stone, the Half-Moon Cast Iron Grill Griddle and C.I. Dutch Oven.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    I have a platesetter and have used it a couple times.  Came with the demo egg I purchased.

Spent a bunch of money at the ceramic grill store and haven't used it since.  Vast majority of my cooks are raised, direct however.

You do need some type of indirect piece to get the most out of your egg (and a pizza stone, paella pan, wok, ... )
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Dude, this is not rocket science. Get the PS. Its one of the most basic factory options.

In your journey to find the grail, you will have and own stuff that may overlap. That is the beauty of the egg. There are no set configurations. Yu dictate how your cook is set up and will go.

Its all about options.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I didn't have a platesetter for at least 6 mos. after getting my first Egg. I bought a couple of fire brick splits, and made a raised grill w. 4 bolts and a spare brinkman grill. But I found that just a drip pan on the lower level was fine for indirec. Once I got a platesetter, I found I rarely used it. For me, it makes the Egg more like an oven. If I want meats that are roasted, or want to do some baking, the extra hot ceramic mass is a plus. But it does take another 20 - 30 minutes more to bring the Egg to temperature because the setter absorbs so much heat.

For me, it is very useful, but not indispensable.
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Mross said:
    You need a plate setter for any type of indirect cooking. I use mine on 90% of my cooks.
    Thermapen is a great accessory.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I think you've probably gotten the gist by now but no, you do not need a plate setter. It's one of many possible ways to cook with indirect heat. I went Ceramic Grill Store adjustable rig combo and it works great for Lee and slow and many other cooks. Very versatile. 

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    They both have their advantages. I did not know about the AR when I bought my egg so I got the PS. I use it all the time. I use a drip pan frequently and sometimes just foil. The AR has some very nice features and I would like to have one. Buy the one that will fit your needs best. Congrats and welcome to the forum