Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

So I had an agreement with my 9 year old son and that's if he threw out so many base runners throughout the season at catcher we'd make his favorite meal which is ribs.  Well much to my happiness he did it with 4 weeks left and about 20 games left in the season.  So this is good and bad because now everytime he throws someone else out it's a rib dinner.  This could get very expensive :)

My wife picked up some baby backs from the butcher and I rubbed them down with all purpose dizzy pig.  However, when transporting them I had a bit of an issue and bumped into something and there went the ribs on the floor.  A quick rinse off and reapplied rub saved them :)

Got the Egg at a consistent 246-254 with some hickory and apple wood mixed in and on they went.  This is after 3 hours as I did a 3-1-1 version and wrapped one already and the other was getting ready.

After the foil, they were so tender and ready to be taken out.  My family likes no tug to the meat so I cook them longer than most would advise but that's how they like them!  I sauced them with my homemade bbq sauce and coated them with it

Plated picture.  Picked up some pasta salad from the butcher, some baked potato salad, sliced up some watermelons.   Used the mustard sauce and an apple chipotle bbq sauce that was sent to me from @chainsaw19 and the mustard one is amazing.  I could stop dipping them into it!

The 2 slabs were devoured by the family!  My son was happy and I can't wait to make more

Large BGE

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Sounds like your sons gonna have your family eating a lot of ribs for the foreseeable future!
    That schedule sounds like a lot of games for a nine year old.

This isn't a competition. Cook them ribs to however the family likes them!

Beautiful cook, and thanks for the background to the cook!

Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    YEMTrey said:
    Sounds like your sons gonna have your family eating a lot of ribs for the foreseeable future!
    That schedule sounds like a lot of games for a nine year old.

This isn't a competition. Cook them ribs to however the family likes them!

Beautiful cook, and thanks for the background to the cook!

Cheers!
    Yeah he'll play about 45 games this year.  He's on a full time travel team because the rec program here is HORRIBLE.
    Large BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Looks great @EddieK76. You're going to have to start setting the bar way higher (for your son that is)!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That looks incredible. I love my some RIBS!

By the way, my baby backs didnt come back on the bones like yours when the cooked. Do you trim yours down before cooking?
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• EddieK76
    WalrusBBQ said:

By the way, my baby backs didnt come back on the bones like yours when the cooked. Do you trim yours down before cooking?
    Nope!  That's how my ribs have always ended up something Raichlen said to do was always look at the meat pulling back!
    Large BGE

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Ya, it's gotta be the cut I got. I look before I through them on next time.

anyways, great looking cook man. sounds like you have a delicious disaster on your hands with such a talented ball player in the family!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• EddieK76
    I guess what I mean is that with sufficient time the meat will pull away from the bones.  Raichlen said when the meat starts to really pull away (a certain length but I can never remember) they are ready!

I did 3 hours non foil 1.5 foil (with butter, brown sugar and some apple juice) and then remove from foil and sauce for the last hour.
    Large BGE

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Great cook and pics.  That's exactly how I did my most recent rib cook to a tee.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

WalrusBBQ said:

Meat pulling back on the bones are one of the signs of doneness for me.  No trimming here.
    Cookin in Texas
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    EddieK76 said:
    So I had an agreement with my 9 year old son and that's if he threw out so many base runners throughout the season at catcher we'd make his favorite meal which is ribs.  Well much to my happiness he did it with 4 weeks left and about 20 games left in the season.  So this is good and bad because now everytime he throws someone else out it's a rib dinner.  This could get very expensive :)

My wife picked up some baby backs from the butcher and I rubbed them down with all purpose dizzy pig.  However, when transporting them I had a bit of an issue and bumped into something and there went the ribs on the floor.  A quick rinse off and reapplied rub saved them :)

Got the Egg at a consistent 246-254 with some hickory and apple wood mixed in and on they went.  This is after 3 hours as I did a 3-1-1 version and wrapped one already and the other was getting ready.

After the foil, they were so tender and ready to be taken out.  My family likes no tug to the meat so I cook them longer than most would advise but that's how they like them!  I sauced them with my homemade bbq sauce and coated them with it

Plated picture.  Picked up some pasta salad from the butcher, some baked potato salad, sliced up some watermelons.   Used the mustard sauce and an apple chipotle bbq sauce that was sent to me from @chainsaw19 and the mustard one is amazing.  I could stop dipping them into it!

The 2 slabs were devoured by the family!  My son was happy and I can't wait to make more

Very Cool, that sauce is actually from a local place here in town that I really like.  I havent busted open my bottle of it yet, but might have to do so this weekend.  Glad you liked it....sorry no comment earlier I have been tied up lately with kids lacrosse events and a lot of traveling so not much time to Egg.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Nice looking cook!  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • those look great! nice pics

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    looks great!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    nice cook, now i am hungry.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Ok, I have to ask what the 3 1 1 or 2 2 1 method is? Im used to getting the smoker to 225 to 250, put the ribs on for 4 to 5 hours tell the rib bone will twist easily, put some sauce on, let them go about 30 minutes to an hour and their done. Am I on the right track? I'm doing baby backs on the egg for the first time tomorrow.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • It refers to a 3 part cook x hours indirect low and slow, y hours wrapped in foil (often with some liquid added) and z hours direct to get a char on the outside.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That's what I thought, just wanted to check. I don't usually foil my ribs so I am going to stick with my old method until it doesn't work. Thanks for the clarification.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.