Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Jury Duty? Tell Us About It.

I just received my first and hopefully last jury duty summons.  Have you had jury duty?  Tell us about it.

Shhhh!!  Here's my plan:

I don't think I can pull off Princess Leia, but shave my head and gimme a light bulb... Heh!  Heh!  Heh!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I did get called to jury duty at one time in Bend, Deschutes County, Oregon.

However, it was about 14 months after I was transferred to Eugene, Lane Co., Oregon.

One quick call to the county clerk there, no more summons!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    hapster said:
    Been called twice... and sat on a jury for a civil case regarding a work place injury. I think everyone should do it at least once. It's the greatest deterrent to getting in trouble that I can think of. On TV the juries always look intelligent and filled with common sense. In real life it's way different. Scary thought, thinking of 12 avg Americans deciding my fate, especially if I innocent or have been wronged.

Just do it... It's a small price to pay compared to others, for living and enjoying the greatest country on the planet.

You don't see people jumping our border heading South or pushing off in a truck tire from NY...
    Ditto the scary part.  The one jury I served on that went to trial had one guy saying I'll vote whichever way gets us out of here fastest.  Also had one guy who could imagine a way to doubt anything no matter what.  There were 3 of us who I'd like to think were reasonably intelligent and we managed to get everyone to come to a reasonable compromise that we felt served justice best.  We found the defendant innocent of the less serious charge and guilty of the more serious charge.  We probably were only able to do that because some of them didn't realize how truly serious the more serious charge was. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Been called twice. Work in legal industry so state dismissed me both times. I would do it for sure.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    I see it from the other side of the jury box and all we hope is that you answer the voir dire questions honestly and not bring an agenda in to vindicate! I agree with Hapster that everyone should do it at least once it really is as much a part of a civilian's duty to serve when called as it is a soldier's duty to put his life on the line to preserve the right to a fair trial! That fair trial primarily comes from a jury. Ok off my soapbox And Whiz, a compromise to the most serious charge is no compromise at all...those lesser charges are just fallbacks to the more serious charge! Those sentences run concurrent to the more serious charge 90 percent of the time. ;-)
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Served on a grand jury once, lots of stupid people out there. My county pays $10 per day plus a nickle per mile, and its all taxable. Did my civic duty.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    made a hat out f alunimum foil.
    Cookin in Texas
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I have been called three times and served on one jury. It is an eye opening experience. I do view this as part of my civic responsibility, unlike many on this board I did not serve in the military and place my life on the line for my country and beliefs, serving on a jury is my way of staying free. My BIL is a police officer in California and I know several other officers through work and social realms. They protect my home and person, I can serve.

I would be very careful in attempts to 'get out' of service, we had one in my group. We were released on Wednesday after the trial she was still there on Friday.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    When I was 18 I sat on a jury and liked the experience. Now I'm a trial attorney and I can tell you the attorneys and judge do appreciate the sacrifice jurors make.
    And remember, if you try to get out of jury duty for some bs reason, you forfit the right to complain about the OJ and Zimmerman verdicts.
  • Relax.  Usually I'm joking when I post something moronic like my plan to dress like Uncle Fester and claim to be a mind reader.   I think dressing like Klinger would be more effective. 

Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I got called once. I was in Afghanistan My dad called and got me out of it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Sat on 2 juries. 1 for a civil case and 1 for a criminal one. Both went 5 days in total and it wasn't easy. I too think it was good to do, but don't want to d it again.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    "Sir, do you know any law enforcement officers?" 

"Yes, I used to be one."

"Excused."

Called many times, never get to serve.  I would love to.

Me in 1977.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    One criminal and one civil.  I was actually pleased with the quality and decision making ability of my fellow jurors.   It restored my faith, to a small degree, in the system.  Criminal trial was actually two separate trials for a mother and daughter at the same time.  Mom was an idiot but not guilty of the charges.  18 year old daughter went to prison for pulling a razor blade hidden in her mouth or hair and slicing a student in the face in a fight at a local high school.  I felt deep anger at the time that someone did something so stupid and put me in a position to be forced to make a determination for her life.  It felt rather emotional and weird when it came down to the final vote to send her to prison.  I was not the only one that felt that way. 

The experience definitely makes you think.  Especially when looking at the seemingly inconsequential things we may say or do that can be used against you if you find yourself in the court system.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2013
    2 criminal cases both in CA. One went to trial the other the lawyers to a look at our faces and pleaded his client. ( we were the 12 that survived and it was 8 pm on a Friday nite when the last juror was selected...none of us very happy either).
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Called 3 times, served on 2 criminal trials...not guilty both times. Hardest part is to put away personal feelings and following judges instructions. The last time I was dismissed due to my new neighbor being a detective.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Called 3 times. Actually served one one and went to decision. I think it is my duty and i am proud to be part of the process that makes us so great. I hear many in my life say they are too "busy" to serve. BULL*#IT.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I got called once. I was in Afghanistan My dad called and got me out of it.

You'd do anything to get out of jury duty... :((

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EgginMisfit
    EgginMisfit Posts: 45
    edited July 2013
    I served last winter on a criminal murder trial. Jury selection lasted 4 days and the actual trial lasted another 5. I will say it is one of the best experiences I've had in life, you really get to see the fundamentals of our court system. In the end like #bustersdad said a couple jurors in my group found it near impossible to follow judges orders (which is just the true plain law) and decided personal opinion mattered more. I think the term "beyond a reasonable doubt" still only took about 5 hours in deliberations to come up with not guilty on 6 of the 7 charges.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited July 2013
    During voir dire, the defense attorney asked if any of the potential jurors had anything to say.  He was Hispanic and so was the defendant.  I said "I have a problem understanding people that don't have a Texas accent."  I was immediately excused.

The time I was picked, it was a DUI case.  I told them that I would feel hypocritical convicting someone when I had been in that situation a few times myself.  They picked me anyway, and we found the guy guilty. (Note to defendants:   Don't try to act "cute" on the witness stand to win favor with the jury).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited July 2013
    I too feel Jury Duty is our civic duty, although it is scary in the ways others have mentioned. I am very glad I have done it and would serve again without trying to get out of it called. In my case I've been summoned a total of four times and I was picked to sit on two juries. The first was civil case that lasted 10 days while the Second was a criminal case that settled before going to trial.

The scary part of my service was due to some of the jurors totally ignoring the law so they could give some money to the plaintiff.The case I sat on involved a man who'd been injured using a punch press at work. He was suing the maker of the punch press and the maker of the safety device the company had installed on the punch press. The only problem was the safety device was never intended to be used on this particular punch press and it was no surprise that it didn't work correctly. No one could figure out why the man was suing the company, who had not only trained him improperly, but had installed the wrong safety device on the punch press.

As far as 9 out of 12 of us were concerned, based on how the judge explained the caselaw, the two companies we're not directlyresponsible for this man's accident. However three of the 12 jurors insisted that he got some money, because he been injured. They didn't care if these two companies were responsible, or not. They figured the two companies had deep enough pockets and since he wasn't suing his own company, the money could come from these two places. It took two days, but we finally got these folks to come around.

After we found not guilty, the judge kept us after the trial where he could answer questions from the jury about what we had just been through. This was very interesting and I thought very highly of the judge for doing this for us. When someone asked why the man's employer wasn't sued he told us It was a hidden clause in the workers comp laws that prevented him. He told us the man had tried to sue his company and it had been thrown out and that's why he was suing the two manufacturers. But the judge also pointed out that the lawyers for those two companies wanted the case thrown out of court before the jury deliberations even started. They felt the plaintiff had not proven his case. The judge was inclined to agree, but he told the defense he wanted it to go to the jury because a jury decision would stand up better on appeal than if he just ruled in favor of the defense. He also told us if we found any other way but completely not guilty, he would've thrown out of our decision and rendered a direct verdict of not guilty across the board.

To this day it still scares me hearing those people say: "I don't care about the law, this man has been hurt and deserves some money. These companies have deep pockets, so why not get it from them?"
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    been called to sit in a room with no windows for 7 hour intervals 3 times now. i almost feel that im doing the time for someone that broke the law
    :)) all i can say is bring a pile of snacks and a pile of books cause they never call me out of that room to actually sit on a jury. seems i get there at 8, the judge gets there at 9, the case is called at 10, the defense asks for an extension which is granted, the judge comes back after lunch at 2, the next case up is cancelled at 3, i go home. happens everytime. i was called in once as a witness to a stabbing, the defendant was told not to do it again and was released
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I've been called 4 times and have sat on three juries (a murder case and two aggravated robberies). Count me among those that consider jury duty an important civic responsibility. You can also include me among those that were amazed at how ignorant some of my "peers" were. It seemed that a lot of people expect a trial (and the related investigation/evidence) to all be wrapped up nice and neat; like an episode of (insert your favorite police, courtroom, crime drama tv show name here).

Having said all of that, I still can't think of a better overall system.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    hapster said:
    Been called twice... and sat on a jury for a civil case regarding a work place injury. I think everyone should do it at least once. It's the greatest deterrent to getting in trouble that I can think of. On TV the juries always look intelligent and filled with common sense. In real life it's way different. Scary thought, thinking of 12 avg Americans deciding my fate, especially if I innocent or have been wronged.

Just do it... It's a small price to pay compared to others, for living and enjoying the greatest country on the planet.

You don't see people jumping our border heading South or pushing off in a truck tire from NY...

+ whatever were up to

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I thought you Texans just say "Git a rope!" The rest of the story writes itself. I'm a little confused as to what a rope gittin' offense is. Murder, cattle rustling and putting beans in chili?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    I thought you Texans just say "Git a rope!" The rest of the story writes itself. I'm a little confused as to what a rope gittin' offense is. Murder, cattle rustling and putting beans in chili?
    All of the above, plus fixin' fish tacos or Mango (name your fruit) Margaritas.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2013
    ... or using anything but oak to smoke a brisket! 

I didn't mention that I voted guilty every time I sat on a jury. Come on, why else would the defendant have been there if they hadn't done something wrong? 
    ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Village Idiot
    Glad you're back VI. I hope you're feeling well.
    Thanks Fred.  Posting on the forum is a lot more fun than physical therapy.   :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Welcome back VI you haven't lost your sense of humor. Hope your feeling better.

Johns Creek, Georgia