Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Reheating Pulled Pork

What's your recommendation for reheating pulled pork.  I smoked and pulled a butt yesterday.  Have company coming tonight.  Read that some suggest warming in a little apple juice on the stove or in the oven.  One said to use beer.  Some say in a crockpot.  I want the best and hopefully an easy way to do this before guests arrive.  Nineee
·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,397
    A slow cooker on low, or keep warm will works well. I've tried cola and root beer, and those worked. More recently, I just add extra butter, some on the cooker surface, and a few pats across the top. Doesn't hurt to have some pre-warmed sauce on the side.
    ·
  • SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    Put it in a plate. Wring out a teaspoon or so of either water, juice or whatever liquid. Place a wrung out wet paper towel over the pork and microwave for about 1 minute, stir it up and reheat until desired temp. You're kind of steaming it but it still keeps the flavors in tact and keeps the meat moist. Works for me every time.
    ·
  • Smokin_TroutSmokin_Trout Posts: 171
    Chicken broth in a crock pot on high. Stir it often to mix the juices up.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,769
    There is no way to make it as good as it was when it first came off the egg. Sorry, but there just isn't. If you want the best, time your cook so it finishes at the right time.

My best attempt so far was to put the meat in a steamer basket and steam (with water) for a while. Was quite surprised.

Used Coke once. Worst ever! Will never make that mistake again!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,467

rtt121 said:
    Vac Seal and hot tub bath
    If this is possible, do this. It is how most packaged pulled pork is reheated.
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 907
    Agree with vac pack that if possible. I've also had good results warming bbq sauce + Apple cider vinegar to near boiling then mixing the pork into that and hearing the mix over low heat in a large pan.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    First choice is Vac Pack and hot water. Second choice (for large amounts) is Nesco Electric Roaster with a little apple juice, set on low, stir frequently until hot.
  • BGEGPBGEGP Posts: 46
    I agree with Black Badger, I use a Slow Cooker and apple cider vinegar.

·
  • GramblerGrambler Posts: 142
    Slow cooker and a bit of cola.
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,144

Be careful if you vac pack. The water got to hot and the vac pak bags came apart on my first one. Could not save the pork. Now I use a boiling bags.

Add a little of your best BBQ sauce, pass out the adult beverages and you will be good to go.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • Do you guys leave the gelatin and fat and let them soak back into the meat?
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
    ·
  • dougbackerdougbacker Posts: 277
    Zip-lock bag and microwave. Keep the zip-lock closed
    we do this all the time and it seems fresh as "almost" can be

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser