hey everyone,......it was real nice to get such a warm welcome when i joined the forum the other day.....this place looks like it's a blast! i already got some real good advice on cooking with less smoke in my welcome thread....I use the BGE lump right now but will for sure try some of the others mentioned.
as a newbie with limited time to do site searches I was hopeful that I could post some newbie questions and if you of you have time to answer or direct me to a previous thread it would be much appreciated! anyway, here goes some of of current questions;
I have an XL egg
1) i have the plate setter.....i know it's a must for low and slow cooking like ribs for the indirect heat etc.... but I have read that some folks almost leave it in all the time for everything they cook.....do you guys do that? when do you use it or not?
2) i have seen much mention of drip pans on here.....do you guys always use drip pans? what are the pros and cons of that? I assume if I am using the plate setter that I may want to place foil on top of it to help make keeping it clean easier?
3) temperature gauges.....I used an extra gauge the other day near the grid to see if the gauge that came with the egg was accurate since it was located higher and the readings were nearly identical.....is there a need or recommendation to do something differently to ensure accurate temperature readings?
4) the pit for the xl is rather large........so do you guys on larger eggs keep the lump filled up in your eggs when you cook or do you use lesser amounts for certain kinds of cooks? I am clueless on this as I have mostly been a propane guy in the past but LOVING all things egg now!
5) any recommendations for "must have" accessories?
I hate being such a newbie....but everyone seems very helpful and nice on here and I look forward to learning as much as I can from everyone!
Thanks in advance for your time.
gettin lucky in kentucky! XL egg