Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium for Sale-- meeting the guy in a few hours...thoughts?

Hi guys-
   Thinking about taking the plunge and adding a second Egg.  I've got an appt. for this in a couple hours:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/hsh/3940628083.html

Good deal if in good shape?  They don't show up very often around here. Any advice (already looked at the "Green Book" and it's close) would be helpful!

~TK~

--------------------------------------
30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Prices are a local issue.  Our prices (DC area) don't compare favorably to the deals seen in the Southern U.S. You need to know your local market and what a good deal new is.
    Around here a medium with P/S, nest, shelves, would be $450 - $500 in very good condition when you can find them.  They don't last long on CL. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What would it cost new in your area? I'd check really well for cracks. Remember of course, no warranty. Salado lg demo was $750.

Good luck
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    From the pics it looks in pretty good shape.  I don't think it's been used that much.  After a couple of years mine was completely black on the interior and this seems to still retain some of the original coloring around the inside of the dome and on the ps.  The CI grate isn't too cheap so it seems the "extras" will certainly add value.  

One thing I'd do if you're planning on keeping it in the nest:  it's the older model so I suspect is has those little crappy casters.  If so I'd consider replacing them.  And, if you have to roll it around a bunch the nest handler makes it much more stable. 
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It's been a while since I have looked at current prices, but I don't think that is a great deal.  I wouldn't go much more than $500 for it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    Follow-up info:
    A new medium in my area is $629, naked.
    The Chicago area is a wasteland of BGE; they're pretty rare.  There's another brand new medium for $800 on the site, and I couldn't talk a guy down from $650 brand new on a small (with a few accessories...)

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Just guessing - there is $200+ ( replacement cost) of accessories.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    bonemuse said:
    Follow-up info:
    A new medium in my area is $629, naked.

Have you called around?  That's the close to the price at some dealers around here, but some will include a nest and P/S for that price.

You have to decide on the value of the accessories.  I assign no value to the platesetter since I would still buy a Woo.  Is the CI grid of interest?  Skip those 2 accessories and you can buy a new egg, nest and eggmates for around $800 I'm guessing in your area. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Depends on how bad you want it.  However, that's too steep a price for a used Egg with no warranty for me.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Wave $450 in cash in front of him and see if he bites.  With no warranty, I wouldn't go too much higher.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Cubs1908
    Cubs1908 Posts: 11
    Seeing how you live in Chicagoland, give Abt a call.  That's where I got mine.  You may be able to get a Medium delivered and assembled for not much more.

Just keep haggling and asking for the best price.
    Schaumburg, IL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bought my medium for $350 with nest on CL.
    There may be a warranty card still in the booklet in that second to last picture ...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I bought my medium for $350 with nest on CL.

Na Na ah boo boo....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I got my med with nest and ps for $300
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Did you wind up getting it @bonemuse?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    I offered him $500-- said he would see if he could get better and get back to me.  So, I'm guessing I won't get it.  Thanks for all the advice, y'all.  In other news, I dropped my ceramic snuffer. Cracked a good chunk off. So, wins all around!