Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Napa Valley

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

Headed to the Napa area for the weekend.

Visiting Domaine Carneros, Joseph Phelps, and Castello di Amorosa.   Those are all pre-booked tours and tastings.   We do have some time open to add 1 or 2 more winery's.

Any recommendation's?   We are trying to focus on where we have not been previously.   Big disappointment was not able to book Caymus, wasn't able to last time.  We may try a drop in - see if we can at least get in for a tasting.

Give me some ideas of what are good places to visit....

Thanks

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Stag's Leap
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Also try French Laundry for lunch its a must but it will cost you a couple of eggs for two people
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, if you have a car.
  • boatbum
    McStew said:
    Also try French Laundry for lunch its a must but it will cost you a couple of eggs for two people

Could not get reservations - a month in advance.   He has two casual eateries in Yountsville, those were only available after 9 ( not gonna be up that late after tasting wine all day).   Ate at PerSe - his restaurant in NY a couple of years ago - was one of the most impressive dining experiences of my life.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    BYS1981 said:

TY - had never seen that before.   If we are over that direction ( and may be on Friday ) will stop in - looks good.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    McStew said:
    Stag's Leap

On the possibility list - have never been there before.
    Cookin in Texas
  • McStew

@boatbum I will try to find the bill but a couple of years back the dinner bill with drinks for four people was $5500.00  .... however we were there for six hours and it was the most amazing meal you will ever eat ...

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    boatbum said:

BYS1981 said:

TY - had never seen that before.   If we are over that direction ( and may be on Friday ) will stop in - looks good.

they're known for their IPAs, but also try their Belgian beers if you do make it.
  • boatbum

Yeah, sounds like Per Se.  We were there 4+ hours.   For a long time that was his two only locations.  Heard somewhere that PerSe might have closed.  Did not know about the Yountville casual locations until we were researching this trip.

If you enjoy Thomas Keller - there is a book written by a person who had worked for him.  Interesting read - if your interested I can dig up the name of it.

Cookin in Texas
  • McStew

Per Se was open in 2012 we didn't end up going because we couldn't get in...

Yah if you could dig up the name of the book that would be great

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2013
    We just went in May and Castello Di Amorosa was the definitely the best wine we had and Jordan (reservation required) in Alexander Valley was tops as well, we were all was disappointed in Cakebread Cellars though. Have fun. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

A friend of mine went there recently and said that at J Vineyards (Just off 101 between Windsor and Healdsburg) the person pouring the wine mentioned that they have a pinotage which is traditionally a South African grape.  When he showed interest and some knowledge about it (he had some that I brought back from South Africa) they assumed he was very knowledgeable and "in the industry" and started breaking out the special reserve stuff for him and his wife.  You might try this.  He brought me back a bottle and it was among the best wines I have ever tasted.  I took it to a friend's wine party where everybody brings one - typically their favorite good (as opposed to everyday) - bottle and about a dozen of us agreed it was the best wine in the house.

All you have to know is: it is a cross between pinot noir and cinsaut (sometimes called hermitage).  Until recently it has been only grown in South Africa.  Apparently J and one other vineyard are now growing some in the US - about 30 acres total.  It tastes "smokey" - some say it tastes like bacon.  Obviously, this makes it the perfect wine to accompany barbecue.  The longer it breathes, the more this is true. 

I'm working on putting together a trip in October and plan to go to J for sure.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

Welcome to the Bay Area, enjoy your stay.

If you get south of the city drop by our Egg shop.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• 13101 Arnold Dr, Glen Ellen, CA ‎
    (707) 938-9401 ‎ · mayofamilywinery.com
    Category: Wineries (mfrs)

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • boatbum
    JRWhitee said:
    We just went in May and Castello Di Amorosa was the definitely the best wine we had and Jordan (reservation required) in Alexander Valley was tops as well, we were all was disappointed in Cakebread Cellars though. Have fun. 
    Jordan is one of our favorites.
    Cookin in Texas
  • eddiepro
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    Just returned from a 3 day stay there before the 4th. Some of my highlight visits were from V. Sattui (Italian style, but the hook was that they had a full deli with cured meats and cheeses available for some awesome impromptu picnics!) and if you want to get a little saucy, Del Dotto will definitely set you back, both financially and coherently   :-j   

For sit down food, Long Meadow Ranch was spot on for awesome food!

I hope this helps!

-ed
  • WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    We enjoyed Rubicon, the reserve wines were very tasty. For lunch we did Mustards which was very good as well.  Some of the others were more of the well known vineyards, Cake Bread and Silver Oak. If you havent been then I would try Ladera and Quintessa.  
  • HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    Lagunitas brewery is out that way also, and is righteously awesome.
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    If you're renting car, this is a nice little trip:
    Napa:  Beaulieu Vineyard, lunch at Oxbow Public Market and Compadres Bar & Grill for dinner.
    Sonoma:  Wilson Winery
    Healdsburg:  Bear Republic Brewing Company (also nice shopping area here).
    Los Angeles, CA
  • boatbum

We are renting a car, will visit around on Friday driving.  These are great ideas, several that I am going to try to work in.

Thank you all for your input - this is great feedback.

We have dining reservations at Mustards ( long time favorite, stop there every trip),  Bottega, and Lucy's.

Cookin in Texas
  • JRWhitee
    We ate as Mustards as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boatbum
    JRWhitee said:
    We ate as Mustards as well.

Is it still good?  Its been 2 years since we were there?
    Cookin in Texas
  • JRWhitee
    Yes it was very good, tough to get a reservation we went early evening.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boatbum
    that's our lunch on Saturday.
    Cookin in Texas
  • jack8820
    jack8820 Posts: 5
    Silver Oak, Silverado Vineyard, Darioush, Alpha Omega are all great and stop by Sattui Winery for cheese and picnic lunch.  Mustard's Grill is good for dinner. 
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    My wife and I really enjoyed doing the Del Dotto cave tasting (not the bar tasting, which is distinctly less interesting).  I'd suggest that.  We ate at the French Laundry when we got engaged.  Cost nearly what we were paying in monthly rent at the time, but it was one of--if not the--best meal of our lives.  Worth every penny.

Other recs include:
    -Bottega (the rabbit pasta is amazing)
    -Bouchon Bakery for breakfast (almond croissant is up there with best pastry I've ever had)
    -Bistro Jeanty (get the beef bourguignon)
    -Gott's Roadside for lunch in Downtown Napa

Have an amazing time!  
    Southern California
  • Phelps is my wife's absolute favorite, I am dumped for Joe in a heartbeat. In addition to tasting excellence Kuleto and Chappellet have awesome vista's of the valley from atop the hills, I would go Kuleto if only time for one.  Another very interesting one if Palmaz (the guy that invented the heart stint), good wine but it's a very high tech winery built vertically into the  hill.  Everything is gravity fed pretty cool layout.
  • JRWhitee
    jack8820 said:
    Silver Oak, Silverado Vineyard, Darioush, Alpha Omega are all great and stop by Sattui Winery for cheese and picnic lunch.  Mustard's Grill is good for dinner. 
    We had lunch at Sattui as well, good call.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boatbum
    McStew said:

Per Se was open in 2012 we didn't end up going because we couldn't get in...

Yah if you could dig up the name of the book that would be great

Name of the book is:   Service Included

Cookin in Texas
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Opus One! Nectar of the gods
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes