Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

going to make jerky on the egg this weekend - first time

Options
so I have made jerky using a dehydrator before. i want to make with my egg this weekend though. i think instead of a marinade i would like to try a rub. any and all suggestions welcome.
i was thinking for rub something like roast a couple jalapeno  and then crush up, sea salt, cracked black pepper, maybe lime juice OR apple cider vinegar?, 
any suggestions with that helpful
for making the jerky, and i am going to use my large, i was thinking small pile of lump and wood chips, probably JD brand, in a small container (is that needed?) then platesetter legs up. i think i saw someone before but a tray of ice on the platesetter? then grate and jerky. 
so, what about that needs improvement? any other tips?

Boom

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Following this as I would like to do too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ive been able to keep temps down using old small pirces of used lump, it helps to use small pieces as they clog the holes a bit to decrease the airflow. never did dry rub jerkey but gfw river city jerkey is really good and his mound method helps when you temps spike up, its pretty forgiving to the temp spikes. page 40
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/WiseOneRecipes.pdf
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've made jerky many times and my favorite curing method is using a rub (versus a marinade).  I put cure (nitrite) in mine.  Freeze meat, meat slicer, sprinkle rub with a shaker, make a huge stack of sliced meat with rub and then let it meld together for 24 hours in the fridge.  Then dehydrate.
    Options

Have a couple of posts about Jerky - we love it - but have never tried.

If a person did not have direct access to a meat slicer - how would you approach getting the slices?

Cookin in Texas
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    boatbum said:

Have a couple of posts about Jerky - we love it - but have never tried.

If a person did not have direct access to a meat slicer - how would you approach getting the slices?

i dont and personally i just take my butcher knife, hit in the whetson to make sure its sharp as my limited skills can get it, put meat in freezer for about 45-60 mins for meat firms up, and then i cut. 

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    so does my process sound like ti will work then? and Nola any tips on rub recipe? if helps i am trying to stay somewhat paleo in nature. 
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I estimate the weight of the meat for the cure (and you don't need to use it), add the right amount of #1 cure, then salt, pepper, garlic powder, flake red pepper, plus whatever seasonings you like, including sugar.  Put it in a shaker.  I've cold smoked it but usually I dry in the oven with the door open....turning the oven on, let it ramp up and turn off.  I'm trying to dry it without cooking it.  I cut the meat cross grain.  There are people that like it long grain, personally I don't like it chewy.  You can also dehydrate in the egg - you want the temp as low as you can get it either way you do it.
    Options
    I estimate the weight of the meat for the cure (and you don't need to use it), add the right amount of #1 cure, then salt, pepper, garlic powder, flake red pepper, plus whatever seasonings you like, including sugar.  Put it in a shaker.  I've cold smoked it but usually I dry in the oven with the door open....turning the oven on, let it ramp up and turn off.  I'm trying to dry it without cooking it.  I cut the meat cross grain.  There are people that like it long grain, personally I don't like it chewy.  You can also dehydrate in the egg - you want the temp as low as you can get it either way you do it.
    ok just a simple rub then. i am going for the egg bc i want to smoke it. i might go back to by dehydrator but def want to try out. i figure 1/2 jack d chips and 1/2 lump?
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'd go mostly lump.  Traditionally jerky was made by salting strips of meat and letting them air dry in the shade.  There's a lot of surface area with jerky and you don't want to overwhelm the meat flavor.
    Options
    @FanofFanboys I use 'River City' jerky recipe, no cure (google for it). I also start egging for couple of hours using leftover lumps in large perforated coffee can, to pick up the smoke, then finish off in the comfort of my 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator.  Have fun with yours and keep us posted!
    canuckland
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    boatbum said:

I have my the meat guy at my local grocery store do it.  If you give them a day or so notice of what you want, anyone will do it for you.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2013
    Options

For those who haven't done it before, this is how I did it when I first bought my egg...

About 3 1/2 lbs. of Top Round sliced at 1/4". Ended up with about 1 1/2 lbs. after shrinkage (finished product).  I used the DigiQ set to 165. Worked great. Marinated for about a day. Started taking jerky off the top rack after about 3 hours. Stuff on the bottom took a total of 6 hours. Next time I'll rotate the racks throughout the cook as we all know it is hotter at the top. Overall it turned out really good.
    The racks were like $3-$4 bucks each from a local big box store (Menards) and then cut up some 1"x1" blocks of wood to space them.

Jerky marinade:
    1/4 C sugar
    3 T Tender Quick
    1/4 C honey
    1/8 C Country Bob's sauce
    1/2 T garlic powder
    2 T Texas BBQ Rub
    1/4 t hot chipotle powder
    1 C water
    1/8 C kosher salt

ry%3D315

ry%3D400