Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

NY Strip Steak pr0n

Reverse seared, prime beef, for my father-in-law's birthday.  Turned out pretty well:

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Nice looking steaks.
    Those are great lookin steaks, bet they were mighty tasty :D
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,977
    brown chicken brown cow....!

NY strip cooks so fast compared to many other steaks....blink your eyes and it can over cook.  I have a pretty low definition (temp wise) of overcooked, but just somethin' I've noticed over the years.  I'm pretty good at cooking steaks, but the sirloin strip is the one I've screwed up the most.  I'm not saying yours are overcooked, I'm saying those are some of the hardest to cook for me.   Anyway, those look fabulous.

• sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,008
    The egg is the only time I've had successful N.Y. strip. Completely agree they are touchy cook. When done right, they are fantastic. I go for easier ribeye cuts our sirloin if I'm being cost conscience. Once I'm at guru level, I'll do more strips. Looks like SF is there!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    They look awesome from here!!!!
  • Thanks, everybody!  Definitely agree that strips are the most difficult cut to do, although these turned out perfectly.  They were nice and thick, which always makes things easier.

• radamoradamo Posts: 360
    SF, 
    Those look mighty nice.  I am dying to try a reverse sear.  Just struggling the where to put my plate setter and what gloves to get for the grab.
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • @radamo:  Thanks!  You can insulate a nearby surface with one or two of these:  

• JaredMDJaredMD Posts: 59
    @SaturdayFatterday - Beautiful looking steaks, man!  I love the reverse sear..

@radamo - I use a pair of these and they work just fine for me:

and pretty cheap to boot.. regardless, though, you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of gloves that will let you hold a plate setter for more than 30-60 seconds, so get your spot prepared ahead of time and move quickly :)  

I put mine legs down on my deck and haven't had a problem with it, but when I think about it I have a steel disc that my cheapo drum smoker used to sit on.  
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • radamoradamo Posts: 360
    @JaredMD and @SaturdayFatterday... both look like good reasonably priced solutions.  Thanks,
    Rich
    Long Island, NY