Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Getting the Hang of it

Options
Been messing around with the wok to try and get the hang of it. 3 days, 3 meals. First to were mediocre and the 3rd was a lot better. The first cook was with a frozen veggie packet(I know but I was lazy). The lesson on this one was frozen veggies kills the heat in the wok. 2nd cook- fresh veggies and chicken,sriracha sauce, soy sauce and a couple dried chili peppers. Was good but cooked chicken too long. Will remove when mostly cooked next time and add back in towards the finish. 3rd was just straight up veggies- Red Bell pepper, onions, cabbage,broccoli ,ginger, garlic & cashews sauced with the same sauces as above This was good imageimageimage Still a far cry from the wok masters here but I am finally figuring this thing out.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks for info. What size wok and where did u buy it?

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I bought a 16" and a Woo3 from Ceramic Grill Store & thanks!

analyze adapt overcome

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    That's a fantastic looking cook!  I'm still trying to get the timing down.  It is really easy to overcook the meat.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Now, for the size meal(s) you've been making, mix up a thickener of 2 Tblspns water or chicken broth, and 2 tspns cornstarch (along with the soy sauce which you've thoughtfully reserved).  When everything is just about cooked, spread the food to the sides of the wok, and then pour the cornstarch mixture into the center of the wok, stir til thickened (will happen in seconds) and then mix the food into the sauce.
    Then, when you've got that down, as you're mixing the food into the sauce add a slight drizzle (1/4 teaspoon, it doesn't take much) of sesame oil.  
    I love to wok!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That looks great!  Strong work!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks for the thickener tip @Botch!! Any other tips or recipes are definitely welcome and appreciated.

analyze adapt overcome

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I have yet to tackle the wok. I need to try that. That is something that would really win SWMBO over but not something that interests me that much. This is all good advice though. Thanks!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN