Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We may still be full from Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean we’re not already looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner, too! Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Bricks for the Egg

Hope this question doesn't seem too ridiculous, but is there a specific type of brick I should get to raise my grid for raised cooks? Do certain types fare better under high temps or will any old clay brick from Home Depot do?
Southern California

• i use firebricks leftover from a fireplace build.
  • tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 204
    Firebricks. I bought mine at a local supply store. Each one was about $2.00.
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 462
    Pretty sure that other than fire bricks would not survive long under the extreme temperature swings. All fire bricks I have seen are white to yellow in color.
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    Landscaper supply stores have split and full fire bricks. Usually $1-2 each. With a few of each and a weber grate, you can do just about any indirect or raised cook. That said, the stuff from CGS just makes it all easier.
  • selloutssellouts Posts: 6
    I use terra cotta feet that Lowes/Home Depot have for terra cotta pots.  Works great for me.  
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    I use 96 cent pavers from Home Depot.   Figured if they cracked and broke would not be expensive to replace.   They are still going strong - year +
    Cookin in Texas
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,258
    I've been using cheap cement pavers forever, even with pizza and never had one break.
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• Fire bricks from Lowes.  Less than $2 each.  I'll also heat them up and put in the bottom of a cooler when FTC is going to be over 3 hrs.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,915
    I use some leftover paver stones. Have had them in with temps in excess of 700* without any problem.
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Aurora, Ontario, Canada