Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast

Options
Crap?  I've used it before just in the oven, and usually get crust resembling closer to cardboard than bread. 
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Are using the packets or the little jar.  We use from the little jar and have no complaints.  What type of flour are you using?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I've used it, seems to work fine if you use the correct amount based on flour, water, ect.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63
    Options
    I use the packets. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. Works like a champ.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I've used the packets.  Would have to look at the type of flour - that's always been my baker wife's domain. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Packets work fine for me as long as they are fresh. If it doesn't bubble up it is bad
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options

The packets say no proofing necessary - is that baloney? 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use it and don't have any problems.

Put some of your yeast in some warm sugar water.  If you don't see any foam from fermentation after 15 minutes, your yeast is no good.
    Options
    You are talking about this stuff right?

I tried some of that on Friday and it didn't turn out so well.  My wife actually made the dough, and then a couple of hours later I noticed it had not risen at all that I could see.  I noticed the packet of yeast was the "pizza crust yeast".  I did some quick research and it supposedly is just rapid rise yeast with some sort of dough relaxer (whatever that is).  

Not sure if the pizza crust yeast is bad, or of I just had an old packet; but I didn't get any rise in the dough.  I tested in warm water and I didn't see any activity.  Pizza still turned out edible but a little flat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oh, sorry, nope I've never used that stuff.  Fleischmann's yes.
    Options
    I've used it often. It is good when you don't have time to proof the dough (The dough is ready right away).

Options
    I use the regular active rapid rise yeast in packets and have had no issues. I have not tried the Pizza specific one. Not sure I have seen them even.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Dragonwmatches
    Dragonwmatches Posts: 221
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Yep-that's the stuff. It says no proofing necessary. I got it for some initial attempts @ pizza prior to the Egg and there was just no rise. I still have several packets and will probably do some testing this weekend. All my remaining packets don't expire until Sept 2014.