Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you buy a floor model, make sure all of the screws are tight

2»

Comments

• SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited July 2013
    That's awful.  Tighten your bolts regularly - but when the Egg is cold, mind you.  Speaking of which, I am going to do that right now.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

The only mistake I see that the dealer made was not to inform you to retighten the band bolts after a half dozen cooks.  The metal stretches under heat when new.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Darn, Just Darn.  Here is hoping the dealer works with you on replacement  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • 2putts4par
    2putts4par Posts: 36
    Just got heard back from my local dealer.  They are going to replace the dome at no cost.  They are working with the MotherShip to see who will eat the cost, but it won't effect me.

Now the problem becomes shipping.  BGE doesn't ship individual domes because they are fragile, so I'm hoping my local dealer has one in stock...
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Could he give you a dome from local stock and replenish when mothership sends? :)

Would depend on his inventory.. if he carries enough.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • 2putts4par
    Man down! ! That hurts. Dealer may be able to help score a deal. Good guys generally speaking. I love your handle, but am not frequently there. What is this 'par' you speak of? I'm a bit saucy right now... so.. Was an Asiana pilot flying? Sum ting wong?
    Sorry I'm just replying, @sumoconnell. I used to play a lot and liked the handle when I came up with it.  Although, I do have to frequently explain that it means I'm putting for eagle.  These day's I should change it to 2putts4double!
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    OH sweet baby Jesus - I'm going home and tightening EVERYTHING as soon as I get home...
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• 2putts4par
    Just picked up my replacement dome!  Props to my local dealer for doing it right!  Looking forward to installing it (properly) tonite.
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Ouch...
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Just picked up my replacement dome!  Props to my local dealer for doing it right!  Looking forward to installing it (properly) tonite.
    you can install it properly but you have to check it and retigthen after a few uses, then after a month, then after a couple months, then every year or when you think they should be checked. just because it fell out does NOT mean it was installed improperly, those bands grow with repeated heatings, the bend opens some, thermal expansion with high heats etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Just don't forget, even though you installed it "properly" you will still need to retighten your bands after a few uses.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Dealership?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 2putts4par
    Thanks, eveyone, for the advice.  I'm sure i'll check them weekly after watching my first dome shatter.  

My local dealer is Quality Water in Stillwater, OK
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Wow tough one. Sorry to see such an awful sight. Reminds me to check my bands.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

I would give the dealer a little more love here on the board for going above and beyond for you and your situation.  Like it has been mentioned they probably assembled your Egg perfectly to begin with. 

How about a name and address for those fine folks?   Kudos to their great customer service.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You should plaster their name and number onyyour car... Few dealers or companies would do that.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Amazing dealer there!! =D>
    <:-P

XLBGE 
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    I bet the Green Egg SHATTERED your burger expectations!!!

Little comedy! I do feel your pain thought. Pray the dealer takes care of it for you.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    you can install it properly but you have to check it and retigthen after a few uses, then after a month, then after a couple months, then every year or when you think they should be checked. just because it fell out does NOT mean it was installed improperly, those bands grow with repeated heatings, the bend opens some, thermal expansion with high heats etc
    OMG!!  I'm right around the first dozen cook period and have no clue if mine is loose!!!  I'm adding a monthly alert in my calendar to check the band bolts right now.

BTW, anything else we need to check from time to time?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    SmyrnaGA said:
    OMG!!  I'm right around the first dozen cook period and have no clue if mine is loose!!!  I'm adding a monthly alert in my calendar to check the band bolts right now.

BTW, anything else we need to check from time to time?
    yep, the hinges...........on the beer fridge
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it