Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gorgonzola Voink Balls and Brats

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

Couldn't think of what else to call these.  :)

Instead of using Ground Beef, I used Ground Venison (hence "Voink" Balls).  I combined the venison with a good amount of Gorgonzola Cheese, Dales Seasoning and some BBQ Seasoning.  I wet my hands with a little bit of water and tried to make the meatballs as uniform as I could.  Then I wrapped each one with 1/3 slice of pork bacon and sprinkled on some more seasoning.  Then I stuck them in the freezer for about 45 minutes.  I figured this would help them maintain their shape, as well as preventing the meatball from drying out while waiting for the bacon to crisp up.

Tossed everything on the Large BGE at around a 325 deg f dome temp with some Pecan Wood for smoke.

Once the Bacon crisped up to my liking, I brushed on some Stubbs Original BBQ Sauce and let them smoke up for another 10 minutes.

I think the freezing of the Voink Balls prior to smoking them up really made a big difference.  They were nice and juicy.  And the Gorgonzola Cheese really kicked them up a notch.  ;)  Deeeeelicious!  :D 

As a side note, my processor did add some beef fat to the ground venison so it's not too lean.  So I'm sure that also helped these not to dry out.  But I'm really thinking freezing them for 45 minutes beforehand was the ticket.

Comments