Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking woods thru the lower vent?

Options
tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
I just noticed on the lessons learned thread that someone said they put their smoking wood in thru the lower vent. I'm curious to understand if anyone else does this. If so, and you are doing low and slow for example, how does the wood actually catch fire and smoke? Maybe I'm missing something here, which would not surprise me!
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i didnt get how it would work either until i started lighting the lump from the bottom thru the lower vent, the sparks and burning lump drop down on top of it with this method. i suspect it would even work better for those using the hique grates. ive seen others post about putting the smoking wood in there but i tend not to believe it would work with top lighting methods but dont know
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Would wood chips or wood chunks work better from the bottom?

I'll need to try lighting my lumps from the bottom AND adding my smoke wood from the bottom this weekend.  :)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    this is the napkin technique, it works better presoaked than drizzling oil on it when its time to light.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

lighting the large thru the bottom with the napkin is quicker than using my weedburner

imageimage

so far have only used chips, its an expiriment in progress, what i like about using the chips in the lower vent verse putting them in the lump is that the next cook after im starting with a clean burning lump thats uncontaminated from smoking woods
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it