Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To flip or not to flip

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Joan I woke up at 4:30 here on vacation and just got to reading this. Very good and thanks for posting. Sure sounds like you guys in Central Texas are getting the rain just after we left.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    It has rained off and on all day yesterday. We had an inch in the gauge when I started the egg. We could use another 30 straight days of this, will take what we can get.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I read this article a little bit ago. Makes sense to me.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Adam Perry Lang has said the worst steak he has ever ate had beautiful grill marks. He calls it the hot potato method, its interesting if nothing else something new to try out on the egg!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Studying up on ci steak cooking they recommend flipping every 15 seconds.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great article, thanks for sharing it. 
    I know this may sound like heresy but, the last reverse sear was done with a pan, on the gasser side burner. Result was very good. Usually I indirect cook, 250-275º, to an internal in the 110º range, remove the setter, fire the egg to high, dry the surface of the steak and sear  - maybe 60-90 seconds a side. 
    Recently, I snuffed the egg after the indirect, no fighting with the hot setter, fired the side burner to high under a CI skillet, oil and butter and seared the outside. Must admit it was very good. Lots of ways to skin this cat.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    Adam Perry Lang has said the worst steak he has ever ate had beautiful grill marks. He calls it the hot potato method, its interesting if nothing else something new to try out on the egg!
    Speaking of Adam Perry Lang - he has 5 'radical' grilling techniques in this month's Cooking Light magazine.  Worth a read, and there are some other solid recipes in it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Thanks for the article. Old girl still learning new tricks. Just got back from the library with one of his books for my afternoon read. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !