Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Maverick Usage... Pork Chops

Last week I picked up a new ET-732 dual probe thermometer.  Been dying to give it a try.  Set my egg up for direct heat, loaded up the fire box and got her up to about 375 - 400 dome which was approx 325 - 350 grill temp according to the Maverick.  So far so good.  Threw on a hickory chunk and let it smoke up for about 15 - 20 minutes.  That got rid of most of the white smoke and started to turn blue and a bit thinner.  Put the chops on closed her up.  Didn't time it but instead turned them when the internal temp of the thickest got to 110.  Cooked until 140 and then used my thermapen to check.  Seems that my Maverick is a bit high.  Took of the two chops that were a bit thinner and they were at 142 according the TP.  Another 2 min and the thicker chop was ready.  Let them sit for 5 minutes.  My family RAVED about the chops.  All agreed these were the best we had ever made or eaten anywhere.  

Now I have to do a boil test on the Maverick's two probes so I know how far off they are.  Also may have been caused by the probe bent side touching the grill grate.  Will see when I do a pork butt.... or a roast.  

So far loving the egg.... 

Thanks again for all the guidance and tips.

Rich
Long Island, NY

Comments