Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Maverick Usage... Pork Chops

Options
Last week I picked up a new ET-732 dual probe thermometer.  Been dying to give it a try.  Set my egg up for direct heat, loaded up the fire box and got her up to about 375 - 400 dome which was approx 325 - 350 grill temp according to the Maverick.  So far so good.  Threw on a hickory chunk and let it smoke up for about 15 - 20 minutes.  That got rid of most of the white smoke and started to turn blue and a bit thinner.  Put the chops on closed her up.  Didn't time it but instead turned them when the internal temp of the thickest got to 110.  Cooked until 140 and then used my thermapen to check.  Seems that my Maverick is a bit high.  Took of the two chops that were a bit thinner and they were at 142 according the TP.  Another 2 min and the thicker chop was ready.  Let them sit for 5 minutes.  My family RAVED about the chops.  All agreed these were the best we had ever made or eaten anywhere.  

Now I have to do a boil test on the Maverick's two probes so I know how far off they are.  Also may have been caused by the probe bent side touching the grill grate.  Will see when I do a pork butt.... or a roast.  

So far loving the egg.... 

Thanks again for all the guidance and tips.

Rich
Long Island, NY

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Marvick makes life a little better and the food a lot better.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    If you're doing direct, I hope you're wrapping the probe wires in foil.  Rumor has it they don't take kindly to direct heat.  I've only used mine on indirect with the probe wires going over the legs of the placesetter.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    I actually did wrap them.  I only plan to use it for indirect and will path it over the Plate Setter leg.  I just was dying to try it out... :-)

What I was happiest about was the smokey flavor that the chops picked up.  Also VERY juicy.  The egg seems to get things just right. 
    Rich
    Long Island, NY