Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What BBQ Guru DigiQ improvements would you suggest to the manufacturer?

Options

Some very smart guys put a lot of work into the BBQ Guru DigiQ. It should be fantastic to use and I hope to use mine soon. As I installed it earlier today, I found there were a few ways it might have been improved so I wrote the bbqguru guys with my suggestions.  What the heck, perhaps they'll consider my ideas or your ideas, when they next make revisions.  So, if anyone else is interested in having any improvements made to the DigiQ please post them here. Myself or someone can send the bbq guru guys a link to this discussion

These were my three requests or suggestions that I made to the bbqguruguys:

"(1) On the metal DigiQ Mount there are two diagonal groves cut out to accept the DigiQ on one end.  Please consider similar dual groves cut out of the opposite end for mounting on two screws on a wood surface. However, I'm suggesting the groves form a small V at the innermost part of the grove. It would look like a check mark.  These check shaped groves would allow the user to slide the DigiQ mount on and off at any time. The V or check shape would keep the mount from sliding off in error. A user could actually have a couple sets of screws at a couple different places so the DigiQ could be moved about the area.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

(2) Please consider adding a clear Plastic cover which slides over the DigiQ so as to keep rain off the unit. It would be good if it were long enough to cover the plugs that plug into the bottom. Or sell it as an separate item. For guys that do long cooks overnight, it would be great.

(3) Please consider selling protective shielding separately for the probe wires"

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

Comments

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Make an attachment that will allow for WiFi and put out a smart phone app. It would be great for my phone to tell me when my pork butts are done.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Industry standard micro spade probe mounts and make it emulate a Maverick transmitter.
    Options
    Mud Pig said:
    Make an attachment that will allow for WiFi and put out a smart phone app. It would be great for my phone to tell me when my pork butts are done.
    An app is a great idea... would be fairly easy to integrate into an app... if anyone would like to donate a WiFi model for me to do testing with, I will develop it.  Or at least try my best.  (seriously though, I think it'd be pretty easy to do using phonegap!) 
    Opelika, AL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They make a wifi version.  This one is purposefully not wifi to keep the cost down.
    Options
    Re: Plastic cover, I use a zip lock bag if necessary.  I'm not sure what you mean about shielding for the probe wires.  I've got the old teflon wires that I've been using on a probe for about 7 years doing charcoal testing at 400 degrees.  I think 7 years is a pretty good performance for a probe being used at the top end of the range that the product was designed for.  Are you finding you are burning out probes due to heat?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    As I was searching yesterday there is a smartphone app for the Wifi version. It sounds like it was recently released and have had a few updates to make it better. I just downloaded it yesterday and haven't used it yet, but I plan on testing it out his weekend on a brisket. 

here is the Itunes version. 

• hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    Options
    to The Naked Whiz: I've not had a problem with probe wires. I just seen a lot of discussion about problems with probe wires and how to protect them, etc.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options

@Mkline

The app works pretty good..but its only a monitor.  If you need to adjust pit temp or food prob temp..you still have to log into the webpage.  But once everything is set..the smartphone app is nice..it even has some fun graphs(purchased version)

Interesting and kind of disappointing at the same time. Ok. Thank you! still cant wait to try it as the cyberq has been a great tool to use. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    hotwheels said:
    to The Naked Whiz: I've not had a problem with probe wires. I just seen a lot of discussion about problems with probe wires and how to protect them, etc.
    Most of the complaints on probes are for the Maverick, which uses thermistors and are relatively fragile compared to the DigiQ's thermocouples.  Nothing is immune from abuse, and you should keep your probes away from direct hot heat.
    I've already emailed the vendor with this suggestion, but I have the CyberQ Wi-Fi and I'd like to be able to give the URL to party attendees so they can monitor the cook as it progresses.  Right now, the only way to let them see the progress is to give them Admin credentials.  I'd prefer for there to be either a Guest (read only) account in addition to the Admin account, or for the status to be viewable on the Web page by default to everyone without any login.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the email piece to be fixed...i have no real complaints on the functionality of the cyber q, but the email piece was one of the reasons I went with the model i did...It kind of defeats the purpose to use the cyber q to control the pit temp and still need to have a maverick plugged in to tell me when things hit alert level temps.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • jenericzac
    Options
    Why not just build blue tooth into the unit. And maybe a unit like the nanoq with a digital read out.
  • GrillinNTheATL
    Options
    I wish they would curve the fan face so that when you install it, if fits correctly and snugly. As it stands now, the fan face is flat but the door slide is curved.