Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead!!!

Options
hello everybody....new to the board here but i have been looking at some great posts....i'm real excited to learn alot from everyone.

i took the plunge and got an XL egg with lots of accessories.....i am pumped up to get into the various recipes and mostly BBQ....

i had my first experience with the egg this weekend and did some lobster tails that turned out wonderfully but just a hair smokey!  i'm going to have to be careful as my wife doesnt mind a little bit of smoke but too much and she doesnt like it much....so any tips on keeping the smoke to a minimal would be appreciated.

i also did a rack of ribs and while they turned out OK from a taste standpoint i was not happy with how they looked....lots to learn.....but i'm happy to be a fellow egghead with you guys!

here are the tails!

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Those are some nice bug tails!  Welcome!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the cult!! I'm assuming you were using Big Green Egg charcoal for your first cooks. Limiting smoke could be just a matter of waiting a little longer before you put the food on.  Keep taking pics, and sharing as we all learn from each other.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Welcome aboard and great cook.  And believe it or not, different lump does impart different degrees of smoke flavor independent of using smoke wood.  I find Wicked Good to be about as smoke neutral as they come and if you are in the St Louis area I have heard Rockwood is about the same.  Royal Oak ( the generic BGE lump) does have a bit of a smoke flavor but not too strong.  Personally I find that Ozark Oak does impart a pretty healthy smoke flavor.

Beyond that others will chime in but make sure the smoke (from whatever lump) smells good before cooking.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Welcome aboard Sloan. It's about time you showed up.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the cult!! I'm assuming you were using Big Green Egg charcoal for your first cooks. Limiting smoke could be just a matter of waiting a little longer before you put the food on.  Keep taking pics, and sharing as we all learn from each other.
    Nice looking cook. Welcome to the most badass cooker in the world. I agree with @Scottborasir about waiting longer for the coals to burn off all the yucky smoke before putting food on. I think this is the most common mistake by people new to the egg.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • If you wait as suggested above and you're still getting too much smoke then try a more neutral charcoal. Wicked Good is very neutral and should help. Welcome! Start saving for your next Egg..... :)
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to our little world. Where are you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Happy egging
    Mickey, when on vacation, sleeping till late in morning is ok.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome and +1 on waiting longer for the smoke to clear before putting food on.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Welcome!  I'm relatively new myself and you should be warned that this addicting!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• TamaleTim
    TamaleTim Posts: 24
    Options
    Welcome - lots of newbies and former lurkers here!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Welcome.  I noticed that the BGE lump (Which is Royal Oak) was a tad smoky.  I have been burning Ozark Oak and like the flavor.  I would experiment with different lumps and find the one that you like the best.  I would also get a Looft Lighter but many here have differing opinions.
    Milton, GA.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Welcome!  I'm also pretty new here, but I'll weigh in on the smoke issue because I had the exact same experience with my first cook.  I made chicken and it turned out tremendously smoky.  My wife wasn't all too thrilled.  I actually called Big Green Egg about it and they gave the same advice many above have given: wait longer to put the food on.  During the first several minutes of the cook the charcoal is burning off some very potent smoke.  You don't want your food exposed to that.  Let at least 15 minutes pass after you get the coals going before you put the food on.  I don't mean 15 minutes after you spark the coals; I mean 15 minutes after you have a good chunk of them lit and glowing.  The smoke should be transparent and wispy as opposed to billowy and white.  I followed that advice and I haven't run into the too much smoke problem since, which has been great because it's allowed me to focus on the myriad other problems a new egger is bound to run into.  Have fun and good luck!
    Southern California
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Welcome to the asylum... funnest crazy you'll ever experience.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Welcome aboard Sloan. It's about time you showed up.

Lol!!! Do I know you????
  • msloan
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice! I was using BGE lump but I will for sure look into some of the other stuff mentioned. I appreciate the help!
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Just keep at it! They will all tell you it is about the journey...
    MBGE in Charleston

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Welcome to the jungle.  Get ready to need larger clothes.  Nice looking tails.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I have become not only a much better cook but also much smarter about food in general. There is an incredible wealth of knowledge available here with a more than healthy dose of humor of all sorts. Any cook you need thoughts on, post here and you will be given 30 different options to try quickly.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • msloan
    Options
    thanks a bunch!  last night I cooked my wife a piece of orange roughy fish and a couple of sirloin burgers for me and my step-son and it was all fantastic and just the right amount of smoke thanks to the great suggestions from you guys!

long live the egg!
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Welcome to the party!

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.