Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A tribute to my ELF, Henapple!

This past weekend I decided the best way to try all the new stuff was just plan a meal around my awesome score from @henapple from the Loveless Cafe. here is the inspiration for the meal. 

So we have their dry rub, Peach-Q-Rub, Seasoned Salt, & Sweet with a bite sauce. I decided to go with a pork loin and the Peach-Q-Rub and after reading @Springram 's post about Chicken Quarters with Adam Perry Lang's brine I went with that and then used the dry rub right before I threw it on the grill. Now it was raining like crazy all day but it cleared up right when it was time to light the eggs. (With Ozark Oak of course!)

Now I don't know if everyone saw but I got a Ceramic Grill Works Two-tier Swing Rack for my small egg and decided to use all four levels of cooking on my eggs. Here is a picture of them next to each other. 

Now some prep shots: 

and the pork loin

I decided to throw the platesetter in the large and sear everything on the small and finish it off indirectly on the large. 

Time for a cocktail break. We went with Adult Arnold Palmers or John Daily's with some sweet tea vodka. 

I decided to give Mini Herbed Pommes Anna a try and sliced up some potatoes

Then after heating up so garlic butter and herbs I added the slices in a muffin tin and poured the remaining butter mixture over top of them. 

First up was the chicken on the small swing rack. 

Then the pork loin. 

This was the best use of having multiple eggs, searing on one and indirect on the other! 

Some corn and crisping up the potatoes to get them nice and crunchy

The backyard was smelling so good! 

I used some of the sauce to baste the chicken the last few minutes. 

Here is a plated picture. The chicken and pork both turned out great! I will be using the rubs on all sorts of things. The potatoes were really good too and will be going in the rotation for sure. 

And now the dessert! Peach cobbler in cast iron with the lid off to give it a hint of smoke. 

It was a great meal and thanks again Henapple for the great gift! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Ok, selling the egg. Extra-freaking-ordinary! I feel so inadequate......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I'm sure something could be arranged @nolaegghead Hopefully I will be making a trip down to your neck of the woods sometime in the next few months. Maybe I can bring my egg and have a cookout. 

@Skiddymarker Thanks, but no need to sell the egg. Just tried a few new techniques to make a worthy post to my elf and the generous gift exchange this forum put on. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Rent Hell, I'm moving in! Nice job Solson.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Darn, I must have missed the dinner bell.... =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I use the peach rub on about everything. Really has a great taste and just a minor bite at the end. And of course mine come from a Henapple meeting as well

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @shtgunal3 I will need more space for all the extra guests! 

@Austin_Egghead next time! 

@Mattman3969 I will put it to good use! 

Thanks @hapster it all turned out great! 
  • Wow!  That's great!  Only missed the PBR, but Adult Arnold Palmers & John Dalys are a good substitute!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Great looking cook. Details on the cobbler would be appreciated.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Solson005
    @Fred19Flintstone thanks! I was going to go with a PBR theme but totally forgot to pick some up and liquor stores are closed on Sundays. I'll have some this week when I eat leftovers. 

@Auburntgr Thank you, I will post details about the cobbler tomorrow. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you're in town, give me a PM and I'll have ya over for a beer and bbq du jour.
    Brilliantly executed as always. The peach cobbler took it over the edge.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Glad you liked the Loveless Cafe goodies. As always everything looks great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    You got it @nolaegghead !

Thanks @caliking it was a great meal!

@henapple thanks for it again, I like the sauce too. Very different than what I normally get, I love the heat that comes on in the end.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Could you please share your cobbler recipe?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Man, @henapple gets all the love... A lot of man crushes on that man.... =((
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    edited July 2013
    Ok finally home from work. Here is the cobbler recipe. @Auburntgr @henapple

4 tablespoons butter cut into 4 pieces and 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
    • 1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
    • 3 cups (15 ounces) blueberries
    • 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 3/4 teaspoons salt
    • 1 1/2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place 4 tablespoons cut-up butter in a 9x13-inch baking pan and put in the oven until butter is melted, 5-7 minutes. Continue with the rest of the instructions, removing the pan from the oven when the butter is melted but leaving the oven on.
    2. In a food processor, pulse 1/4 cup sugar and lemon zest in food processor until combined, about 5 pulses. Set aside. (If you don't have a food processor, combine the sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl and rub your fingers through the mixture until well combined.) Using a potato masher, in a medium bowl, mash the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of the lemon sugar until the berries are coarsely crushed.
    3. In a large bowl, combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the milk and the 8 tablespoons melted butter until smooth. Pour batter into the baking dish with the melted butter. Dollop spoonfuls of the mashed blueberry mixture evenly over the batter. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon sugar and bake until golden brown and edges are crisp, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool 20-30 minutes before serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired. 

It was originally a Cook's Country magazine recipe. I used 2 cans of peach chunks in syrup (drained) in place of the blueberries. I used the lemon zest & sugar to top the cobbler. Pan in the egg as it heats up to 350°, pour in batter, then peaches, then zest / sugar mixture. 50 minutes until done. 

• Solson005
    @Chubbs he helps out giving great charcoal to eggheads that normally wouldn't get to try and gave me some awesome goodies during the rub exchange. Whats not to like? 

If you want to send me some goodies, I will make a post about you as well.. 
    :D
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    What is the benefit of scoring the chicken?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow!! Amazing cook. Like the look of that peach cobbler. Might ahve to borrow that recipe.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Ragtop99 said:

What is the benefit of scoring the chicken?

Get the rub in the meat.
  • Chubbs
    Solson005 said:

@Chubbs he helps out giving great charcoal to eggheads that normally wouldn't get to try and gave me some awesome goodies during the rub exchange. Whats not to like? 

If you want to send me some goodies, I will make a post about you as well.. 
    :D
    Joking of course. And maybe, just maybe I will send you something. I will start a thread on him too if he brings Ozark to SC
  • Solson005
    @Ragtop99 to let the brine / marinade soak into the meat better.

Thanks @Griffin it was great, please give it a try and let me know what you think. It had a nice hint of smoke, so I don't think I would bake it if I had any wood chips or chunks as i'm sure you could imagine. 

@Chubbs just joking right back. No need to send me anything, but if you happen to be in OKC for any reason we could definitely have a meal in your honor.  
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    @solson005 Thank you for the recipe. Sounds great.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Solson005
    I finished off the last of the peach rub tonight on a tenderloin. Thanks again @henapple‌ if you are ever rolling through OKC let me know and the PBR and a tasty meal will be waiting!
  • @Solson005 great, great looking cooks. 

I am with @Chubbs concerning getting @Henapple to deliver some OO over to my neck of the woods as well. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • @Solson005 great, great looking cooks. 

I am with @Chubbs concerning getting @Henapple to deliver some OO over to my neck of the woods as well. 
    You guys are aware that Henapplie is a raging queen and demands something for his "free" delivery...just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Great meal, looks amazing!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited December 2014
    NM

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe