Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

DIY 2/3 tier swing grate for under $20- Instructions & parts

Ok guys, I've been thinking about getting a swing grate for the past week but I'm a DIY kinda guy, so I decided to build my own adjustable height, 2/3 tier swing grate using easy to find parts from Home Depot & Grainger. You can even pickup a Needle Bearing at your local autoparts store if you don't have a Grainger outlet near you.

I have about $20 into this rig and so far it's been working great. It can even be used with a plate setter for long smokes. This weekend I'll add a 3rd grate 2.5" under the top grate, so I'll be able to do 2 racks of wings and spatchcock chicken on the bottom. I like this rig because it's super adjustable! Just before throwing the meat on, I can adjust the height of each grate independently or even add a 3rd swing grate to hold a drip pan under the top rack, that way I don't have to worry about the juices from my pork falling on the Brisket below. The 1/2" rod is very sturdy, so it's not going to bend if you put a whole chicken on top. You do however need to trim 2-3" off the rod because at 12", it's extended to far into the firebox area.

Here are the parts list & photos..

Home Depot:

1- Weber Kettle grate- 13.5" (007924074059) $8.99
1- Threaded rod- 12" long, 1/2" diameter (030699170401) $1.57
5- 1/2" Cut washers $.20 ea
4- 1/2" Hex nuts with same thread count as rod (#13 thread) $0.20ea
Grainger:
1- Needle Bearing, 1/2" bore (part# 4XFN2) $3.49

imageimageimageimageimageimage
The top grate is barely sagging with this 4lb carton of juiceimage
The height of each grate can be adjusted to whatever you're cooking. Notice the lone nut? Well that's where I'll be adding the 3rd grate to do wings or to hold a drip pan for meats that's placed on top.image

Remember, I'm not a professional! I'm just a mad scientist that love BBQ & Drag Racing, so if you decided to make this rig, you'll be doing it at your own risk. Happy Egging!
Westchester, NY
LBGE + Guru controller

BBQ & Horsepower = My Life!
IR-Designs.com
Facebook/IRDesigns

Comments