Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Whole Chicken on the Mini

Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,590
Rigged this contraption up in the meantime before I get my woo and stones. :) Regular stainless steel great, then a large charcoal grate covered in foil, then a jalapeño popper stand elevating the chicken. Seems to be working! LOL
image.jpg 2.2M
·

Comments

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,590
    Thermometer wouldn't fit obviously. Anyone have any advice as to how to clasp the thermometer on the inside without using the big bulky standard clasp? I'm gonna use a wine cork on the outside, but not sure the best way to attach it. TIA!!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    I threw away the thermo clasps long ago.  I put a section of cork on the outside to lessen the length of probe.  If I close it on some food, it just pops out rather than stab the food.

·
    Thx, @nolaegghead... I'll just do that then and let it go without a clasp.
    ·
    Problem solved. :) Thx nolaegghead.
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2013
    I have seen some install clip on the outside of the egg (instead of inside the dome).

i.e. - use the clip in place of the cork. This is what I plan to do.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    edited July 2013
    I flipped the clasp and use it on the outside. The thermometer still sticks into the egg past the reading line on the thermometer.

But I do like the cork idea, just not sure it will last as long in the elements.
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·
    Success! :)
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,461
    Awesome man. I do the cork thing on both eggs myself. Works for me. Nice job on the chicken. Lovin the mini cooks man. Keep em coming. I have a good one planned for tomorrow night ;)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Thx for the tip about using the charcoal grate, @Chubbs! Worked like a charm.
    ·
  • Excellent idea using the ABT stand!  I've only done a whole chicken once in my mini.  I used the Smoking Guitar Player method.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·