Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIY Big Green Egg Chimney, not chimney starter

Options
Just a few pics, if anybody was interested. I've not been completely happy with the time it took to get the lump up to temperature. I seen something like this in the internet and thought I'd try it.  I put a 5 inch vent pipe on a 6 to 5 inch reducer. I cut it off at 23 inches. I bent the sharp edge at the top over like you would see on a rolled over rim on a paper coffee cup,  using a few rocks in place of anvil and hammer so there are no cut hands.  In theory there should be an increase in draw, etc.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Interesting. 

How did you determine the 23" length was optimal?

Are you going to try some before and after measurement of times to reach a certain temp to see how well it works?

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    There is an egg blocking my view in the first picture. Can you move it? 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    So 10-15 minutes to get the lump up to temp isn't good for you? BTW making alterations to the BGE may void the warranty...also this is a first...good luck.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    That's a beautiful view you've got there. How long is it taking your egg to come to temp and what are you hoping for with the improved draw?

@vidalial... why would this create a warranty issue?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    If that was my view I'd slow down the process sip on some Maker's and listen to a couple more Jimmy Buffett songs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    edited July 2013
    Options

To Ragtop99.  Nope, I just cut it off at a random point after having the wind blow it over when it was about 4 feet high. My thought was just to increase the draw.  I don't think I could get measurable differences in start up times due to variables like wind, moisture, etc. I'll just take whatever improvement I can get.

To TexanOfThe North:  I did not measure the time it took for the lump to come up to temperature, but there seemed to be a lot of time where the egg was choked with white smoke as it slowly came up to temperature. I just knew I wanted it faster and I think there is an improvement, but it's certainly still not lightning fast.

To Foghorn; The chimney starter is the real time saver, not the chimney. My egg still takes quite a while to get going.

Thanks Hokie_Smoker

To Vildalia 1: Believe me, the temperature is not coming up fast enough to break anything. For that I might need a weed burner

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I've been using my side burner to lite the chimney, but normal do a complete load unless I'm doing a low and slow.

I would have liked a peak inside the egg of that video posted by @Foghorn.  Had the fire spread to all the coals, or did it just create a narrow jet stream of hot air?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • hotwheels
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I don't have a side burner on my Webber, but I did just learn something watching the video. The burner runs about two minutes firing up the charcoal.  I don't spend near that amount of time with my propane torch, so I need to use a little more propane and it will greatly decrease my wait times. hopefully. Perhaps I need a chimney starter of some kind. I'd like to see how fast the guys are with the weed burners.

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    I use my propane torch for about 2 minutes and when I shut the lid the temp climbed past 300 in about 30 seconds. :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How I do it when I'm in a hurry (note - this is not me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4YcqbFaWzU

Options

No video appears when I click on 'button', .  am I doing something wrong??

• hotwheels
    Options
    I must be doing something wrong, Rholt. It must be at least 15 minutes before I see 300F