Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven for my Large...

EggerinMO
EggerinMO Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pretty soon hopefully it will start getting cool and thoughts of chili comes to mind what size Dutch oven works best in the large?
L and MM

Egging in the Ozarks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    IMG_0436.jpg
    <p />EggerinMO,
    here's a pix of my Lodge brand "Camp style oven" meaning it has 3 legs that it rests on so that when sitting on your inverted plate sitter it is subjected to "all around" heat. I think this one is a 6 quart as it has a big "12" cast in the lid. Let's see if I can post another pix here after it has been aged well, and resides in our cold oven when not in use on a cheapie deep dish pizza pan from Wally World...
    IMG_0614.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,[p]Thanks for the pics... I was looking at the 6Q here at bass pro shops.. How did you season it? The only cast iron cooking pans I have are hand me downs they make GREAT fried taters and cornbread :-)

L and MM

Egging in the Ozarks

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    EggerinMO, Lodge includes all the instructions you need. OTOH if you buy another brand I'm sure even Lodge's work. Hey, email me after you buy whatever you buy. OTOH, our Grandmothers and their Grandmothers and their Grand...OH you get the drift...didn't have email - the heat treatment, then oil all repeated and cooled is simple - not high tech.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggerinMO,
    I just wash mine with soap( hear the cringing) and water then wipe it down with cooking oil before I put it away. Always works fine. I think a lot of people make the seasoning thing into something way more complicated than it has to be. Remember it is made out of cast iron like the exhaust manifolds on cars and trucks. Just keep it good and greasy so it does not rust and food does not stick to it.
    I think there is even a song about that
    "keep my skillet good and greasy all the
    time,time, time "ect.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    EggerinMO,
    I like the 4 qt. No. 10 Lodge Dutch oven for chili. Just right for baked beans also. If your cookin for a bunch of folks, go with the 6 qt. Better yet- buy both. Cast iron is a life time product so your money is well spent.
    Good luck,
    Clay[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    EggerinMO,
    i think my big one is a number 12 extra deep about 8 quarts. holds a lot of chili or gumbo.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bought and used a Lodge Logic Seasoned Ready to Use 7 Qt yesterday and made a pretty good pot of chilly for a first try. It was $45 at Gander Mountain in Peoria. Washed with hot water and scraper, then seasoned with oil before putting her in the cold oven to store.