Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover question

HNL
HNL Posts: 31
I've seen both "ventilated" covers and ones without vents.  Any opinions?

Comments

• RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    I think that is a matter of personal preference. I have a non-ventilated cover over my weber and it is just fine. It is breathable to some extent and open on the bottom. I have a cover store cover on my egg and table that has a mesh vent around the entire perimeter about knee level. I don't know that it helps out much, but I haven't had a problem with condensation or the like. Totally sealing up your egg would be bad, but as long as it is open at the bottom and not being rained on constantly either way is probably fine.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

No cover--- use the money on other assessories. My $.02 and here is why.

The few I have used in the past, still let some water in or tore. The egg is weatherproof. If you are like me, you will throw it down while cooking and not put it back on, then it rains and mildews.

Too much trouble in my opinion.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Chubbs said:

No cover--- use the money on other assessories. My $.02 and here is why.

The few I have used in the past, still let some water in or tore. The egg is weatherproof. If you are like me, you will throw it down while cooking and not put it back on, then it rains and mildews.

Too much trouble in my opinion.

Agreed. I have one (gift), used it twice in 4 years. And that was when I remembered to put it on after the egg cooled off. Buy some food.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    I have a Green Egg cover over my large BGE and table. It leaks and was a waste of money. I will probably go to Home Depot and buy a cheap tarp to go over my table. Rain will not hurt the Egg.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    The egg is bulletproof, don't bother...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• williamadamsesq
    williamadamsesq Posts: 155
    edited July 2013
    Got one of these for $197. Not much more expensive than a cover. http://www.lowes.com/pd_321512-1217-FG5L10LWFMONX_4294720406__?productId=3153365&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=. Holds a large and a bunch of stuff.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You shouldn't buy a cover for an egg.  You buy a cover for the table.  If you don't have a table, I wouldn't bother.
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    I built a cover so I don't get wet while cooking on the egg. The egg itself don't need it.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    My dealer threw in a cover for me. I use it religiously. I didn't pay for it so why not use it I say.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Weatherproof, as in snow and 10 degree temps?
    Oh yeah, conditions a lot worse than that where my egg sits...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    I park my car in the garage, I keep my boat under cover, and yes I cover my egg.  I went with the vented model.  Let's revisit this issue in 20 years and compare eggs.  A small investment, cover the egg.
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    I probably would have considered a cover, but I over research everything.  I read about guys with 10+ years and more on their eggs and absolutely no effect.  If it gets dirty, take an old rag and rub it a little and good as the day you bought it.  I have hear negative things about covers though. Those covers that aren't vented can trap the moisture in and accelerate mold growth inside the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• It doesn't take long at all to build mold. I only abused/neglected mine for 2 weeks and it started to mold. When it's humid, I can't imagine covering it and holding that moisture even tighter. However, I suppose if I had a cover on it, I could leave the top open and possibly vent better.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Put me in the vented cover camp. Three reasons: freeze thaw, not all of the parts are ceramic and UV protection. 

Yes I have a grill gazebo that keeps some of the elements off my Eggs, but wind driven rain still gets in. I have seen the effects of storms where it is very windy when it is raining and then there is a rapid temperature drop. This type of weather will freeze up the doors of cars that normally have no issues with frozen doors under normal winter conditions. Being late for work is one thing, being late for dinner on the Egg is an other.

I have no worries about the longevity of the ceramic parts of the Egg, but I like the idea of keeping moisture off the metal parts.

I like the idea of minimizing the exposure to the sun, every color will eventually fade. I figure let the cover fade and keep the Egg looking newer longer. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    jfm0830 said:
    I have no worries about the longevity of the ceramic parts of the Egg, but I like the idea of keeping moisture off the metal parts. 
    Exactly why I got a cover: not for the ceramic parts, but the metal ones. Mine's in a nest, and I got a vented cover that goes almost down to the ground.