Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

If you buy a floor model, make sure all of the screws are tight

Swmbo said that I handled it amazingly well...good that she couldn't hear my internal dialogue.
image.jpg 2.4M
image.jpg 2.6M

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,684
    edited July 2013
    X( :-q @-) X_X #-o
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • AltonAlton Posts: 445
    I have tears .... :(( So so sorry...
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Oh ****! That makes me ill at my stomach!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,057
    Man down! ! That hurts. Dealer may be able to help score a deal. Good guys generally speaking.

I love your handle, but am not frequently there. What is this 'par' you speak of?

I'm a bit saucy right now... so..

Was an Asiana pilot flying? Sum ting wong?
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Ouch!!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I fear this literally every time I open my dome.
    Dunedin, FL
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    That sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,383
    Wow...hope the dealer comes through for you if they sold you a poorly assembled product.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    Good to know but at the same time it gives me the goodsebumps seeing that top in that many pieces
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386
    How long have you had that, or was it a demo??

If it was a recent purchase I'd call the dealer and just mention it. Never know. 

Hurts to see these when they happen... 

• calikingcaliking Posts: 7,316
    My heart bleeds for you. Surely the dealer needs to help you out if this was a recent purchase?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    edited July 2013

Keep your band bolts tight Egg-fans.  They can/do get loose with use.

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Letz4wheelLetz4wheel Posts: 236
    Southern Indiana
  • That particular vulnerability is a design flaw that should have been corrected a long time ago.

• jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    edited July 2013
    What a sad, sad sight. Sounds like you took it far better than I would have. Like others have said: Hopefully if it is a recent purchase, and your dealer will do right by you.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • 2putts4par2putts4par Posts: 35
    Thanks for all of the comments. Watching it hit the concrete, in slow motion in my mind, was brutal.  I'll go speak with the dealer today at lunch.  I'm sure we'll work something out.  I'll be back at it soon : )

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,858
    I feel your pain. I watched mine busticate on grass, so I can only imagine the "POP" you heard on concrete. Worst case, a new dome will set you back a couple hundred bucks or so(It was $158 or so for my medium). Since This was a floor model, hopefully the dealer will do right by you.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,941
    If they assembled it... Should not charge you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • billsmebillsme Posts: 42
    henapple said:
    If they assembled it... Should not charge you.
    100% agree, this is no question a warranty claim.  That's why BGE pushes the dealer network.
    I'll let them know that the forum is watching to see how the dealer network handles things of this matter!
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,865
    This is a good reminder to check your Egg periodically. These screws, nuts/bolts loosen with use and high heat.
    I need to realign and tighten my dome band currently.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just got back from the dealer.  I'm not saying that they looked happy about it, but they apologized for the problem, took the fragments and said they'd get back to me by tomorrow with a solution. I'll keep you posted.

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,239
    X_X I was afraid to open this thread originally. I'd have been :(( . Hope they do right by you and replace it for free. Maybe they'll throw in some freebies like rubs or chips or chunks for your troubles. :D

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

That sucks... Get back to you? I'd call corporate asap.
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,684
    I agree with @Henapple. I would call the mothership if they don't respond in a timely manner and explain it was a floor model put together by the dealer.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    How long have you had this Egg?  When did you purchase it?
    Purchased the Egg 3 months ago.

I'm going to wait to see what my local dealer has to say.  They gave me the impression that I'd get a new top at no charge.  Would like to continue to build a solid relationship with them.

Best of luck to you. Hope it works out in your favor with a free of charge dome and a growing relationship with your dealer.
    Where's the pictures?