Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs and smoked brats, my cutting board has never looked so good.

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while since I've done an indirect low and slow. I decided to do baby backs and smoked brats. The baby backs were a logistical nightmare since I bought three packs in total, returning two of them on two separate trips back to the store since they smelled awful when I opened them. It was a rotten almost methane smell. Anyways I took those racks back and got my money back. I cut my losses after the second trip and went with the two rack that smelled fine.

I smoke the ribs for 3 hours at 225 and then bumped it up to 250 for the last 2 hours. The brats went on when the egg hit 250. I generally like to grill my brats but I've recently gotten into smoked sausages, they came out great.

I also made sour cream and lime coleslaw, an baked beans with corn.

Great way to wrap up the weekend. Its amazing how delicious 8 pounds of pork can look spread out on a cutting board.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice cook..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks tasty! Do you mind posting the coleslaw recipe?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I have a pack of brats and Italian sausage for tonight. What was your technique? 250 for 2 hours?
    Edina, MN

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That is a nice cutting board.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Budgeezer said:

I have a pack of brats and Italian sausage for tonight. What was your technique? 250 for 2 hours?

I usually let the brat for two hours at 250. They always come out perfectly.

• Mud Pig
    Options

Here you go:

Ingredients

1 bag of shredded cabbage (a coleslaw mix is preferable)
    4 scallions
    1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, torn
    1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    2 limes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    Directions

Chop up the cilantro and scallions. Toss the cabbage, scallions and cilantro in a large salad bowl.

Make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar and the zest of the limes in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and finish with the lime juice from both limes. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.

If you can do this the night before you are going to serve the coleslaw you should definitely do so. It really let the coleslaw set up nice and reach maximum flavor.

Enjoy.

MP
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
     Wow that cutting board does look good. Awesome cook.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Terrific pics!

Well done.....................

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Mud Pig said:
    Here you go: Ingredients 1 bag of shredded cabbage (a coleslaw mix is preferable) 4 scallions 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, torn 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar 2 limes Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper Directions Chop up the cilantro and scallions. Toss the cabbage, scallions and cilantro in a large salad bowl. Make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar and the zest of the limes in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and finish with the lime juice from both limes. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine. If you can do this the night before you are going to serve the coleslaw you should definitely do so. It really let the coleslaw set up nice and reach maximum flavor. Enjoy. MP
    Thanks... that's very similar to the recipe that I use. Mine has chili powder for more of a "southwestern" flavor. I'm going to give this one a try the next time I do coleslaw. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That is one happy looking cutting board. Great looking meal.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A cutting board piled with meat is one of my favorite sites!  It all looks great.  The cole slaw recipe sounds amazing- I will have to give that a try.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.