Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

WOK Fail

robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,460
On Friday night we were debating on what to do for dinner.  I was thinking of a WOK cook on Saturday night but I have never seasoned/cleaned the new WOK.  So I fired up the Egg to heat up the WOK since I did not want to turn on the oven in the house and stink the place up.  I took out the new WOK (from CGS) and cleaned it with soap and water and a abrasive sponge.  Looked like I got most of the oil off.  I put the WOK on the Egg to heat it up and get the oil from shipping hot to be cleaned off.  After 10 minutes I removed the WOK and cleaned it again.   Then I tried to season the WOK on the Egg - Spider UP and the Egg ~ 400-450.  I did the paper towel with Olive oil (All I had on hand) about 4 times until the towel came off clear and no more black residue.  BTW I hope I did not ruin the Egg becasue the smell coming off of the WOK with the shipping oil made a bad smell.

When finished seasoning I said what the heck - let me thrown on some chicken pieces (cut up) with fresh pressed garlic, powdered ginger( None fresh in the house), Pulled the chicken off (Seared a little and I think I need more heat as the meat did not keep on sizzling when moved around/flipped).  I added some baby carrots and cooked for a few minutes (should have done longer).  Then I added the chicken back in with some Soy, Hoisin and Siracha and stirred all together for a few minutes then removed.

Now the it tasted OK but no where near what I would get if I ordered out or went to a Asian restaurant.  Chicken was not crisp and rather chewy and weird flavor.

I rinsed the WOK with water only once it cooled down and I looked at the WOK this morning and its all rusted.  Did I ruin it or do I have to sand out the rust and season it differently?

Garnerville, NY

Comments