Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket problems...again!

I have had my XL for 2 months. Five cooks in after not cooking above 350 I tried a pizza and after 10 min at 600 my gasket stuck together. A local dealer put a ne on on and I have been really cautious for about 6 cooks including a 7 hour Boston but. Last night I did pork steaks at 225 for 3 hours and towards the end I noticed a spot on the seal that is either a melted spot or just sauce from the end of the cook mop that dryed. It did not stick, but I am afraid for what will happen if I get it above 400. My question is should I try to clean the spot and if so how. Also this is my first post and I have loved my egg and the pork steaks rocked.

Comments

• I ruined my gaskets on my XL this weekend because I was EWI (Egging While Intoxicated).  I got sauce all over the place and closed the lid after I removed the ribs, but before I cleaned.  The gaskets fused and tore when I opened the lid later to clean my mess.  I'm considering going commando or maybe trying a Rutland.

I have not had any other gasket trouble with any of my eggs other than the general inferiority of felt gaskets and I consider this incident operator error. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Thanks I am hoping that since it didn't stick last night tht it won't
  • If it isn't stuck now, I would think it won't.  Egg on! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I put in a Rutland a month ago. Went with a badly burned gasket for a year. The Rutland is the bomb! I love it, inexpensive, durable and works perfectly! Lots of leftover lump, seals right up when everything is closed! Thanks so much RRP!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • I fried gasket on my large--called BGE and found out there is a one year warranty on the gasket.  They agreed to send me a replacement.   And, I told them I wanted the high temp nomex replacement gasket, and that is what they sent me--no charge.  It has worked much better than the original.  Since it is free, I would try the hi temp factory one first.

Old Fried Gasket:

New Gasket--a little stained here and there, but holding up great:image

• They sent me on too
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    My original gasket burned up during the first year and I got a free replacement Nomex gasket from BGE but it didn't last much longer.  I replaced the Nomex with a Rutland gasket and am very happy so far. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Original gasket lasted about 2 yrs.....replaced it with a nomex that I got from the Mother Ship. After three yrs and a number of high temp cooks still looking good. Howsome ever next gasket will be a Rutland on the bottom only. 

Bob
    Alex City, Al
    Shiff said:
    My original gasket burned up during the first year and I got a free replacement Nomex gasket from BGE but it didn't last much longer.  I replaced the Nomex with a Rutland gasket and am very happy so far. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I installed a Rutland from RRP early this year, and it rocks!

Brought my 3-year old large egg right back to new performance.

The gasket on my mini is getting kinda ratty, and when the time coms, it's Rutland again.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Although some go commando, it scares the crap out of me. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I close the lid and hear/feel that soft landing of Nomex
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Is the Rutland gasket only put on the bottom? I have an egg that is about 6 months old and I am trying to figure out whether to get a replacement from the mother ship or just go ahead and get a Rutland and be done with it.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Rutland is thick enough that you can just install it on the base.  Saves the work of removing the dome.  Just clean the old, burned-up gasket remains off the dome and it works just great.  Also a nice soft, cushioned feel when you close the lid.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I have a Rutland on order - going to install it and do a little dome realignment this weekend.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    grEGGorys said:
    Is the Rutland gasket only put on the bottom? I have an egg that is about 6 months old and I am trying to figure out whether to get a replacement from the mother ship or just go ahead and get a Rutland and be done with it.
    For less than $20 bucks for the Rutland & Permatex Ultra Copper, you'll never have to worry about it again.  Easy decision in my book.
    Packerland, Wisconsin