Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

"Franklin Style" Brisket - killed it.

This is definitely my brisket opus magnum.   I'm not one that cooks many briskets, and when I do, it's just as likely ground up into burgers, or corned beef or pastrami.  I've cooked more than a few, but have never been that excited about cooking them because, although I'll get some good point meat, I always end up with some complaint - dry flat usually.  I've only had brisket a few times that was at that top level, and you don't have to be a connoisseur to identify it.  Cen-Tex brought some to Salado. 

When I was cooking this brisket, I had that feeling that's hard to describe, but a good analogy might be, you shoot a basket and long before you see the ball score, you have that feeling that everything is right about it, and you don't even need to watch it go in. 

Anyway, this cook resulted in the best brisky I've ever cooked, and I think I've ever eaten.  Even the flat was fall apart tender and moist.  The flavor was phenomenal.  SWMBO who normally isn't crazy about brisket said it was "special".  I was so excited, I wanted to share with some friends and neighbors, so I made a few calls and packaged up some to share the spoils.

Details to follow.

·

Comments

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Sounds great Nola! Looking forward to hearing more about it & hopefully seeing it. Congrats!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I'm glad you have experienced brisket success. Let me know if you need my address.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    Send mine to FL please.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,224
    oh, temp probably averaged 265F (ranged 230 - 290F).   12.5 hours for a 14 pound untrimmed, probably 13 pounds trimmed brisket. 

The long FTC may have helped.  It sure didn't hurt.

·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,384
    Awesome- congrats
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,916
    Can't wait to see the pictures...

Sounds like it was a winner from start to finish
    ·
  • Gotta love those moments that remind you why you love the Egg! Sounds great and looking forward to some pics. My next brisky goes on Saturday afternoon.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • ZaltydogZaltydog Posts: 66
    I have been reluctant to try a brisket.  This thread is the inspiration I need to take the next step.  Cooked four butts yesterday that came out well.  I need to take my egg to the next level.
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    Did yourself proud. Waiting to see pictures.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,556
    Sounds great Nola!  Congrats on nailing it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,455
    edited July 2013
    Three pointer!!!
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
    This definitely did not happen. No pics.

Nola probably just "enjoyed" that brisket with the pink elephants floating by his head. 
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,501
    @Eggcelsior broke the code.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • Now you know. Well played sir.

·
    Problems uploading. ...it did happen!

·
    Moarimageimage

·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 967
    Looks great!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,616

I'd roar for "moar"!

;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • oh my. dank ass brisky

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
    I'm super jelly! 

Thank you, scientist. Got any papers?

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,656
    The cut of meat before cooking was beautiful. That's where it all started... Nice.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
    SkinnyV said:
    The cut of meat before cooking was beautiful. That's where it all started... Nice.
    I think that's the biggest part of brisket fails - inferior packers.  This one was beautiful.  After cooking, the whole thing was floppy and moist.

·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Awesome Brisket!!, perfection my friend! ^:)^
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
    Thanks y'all.  The pictures didn't really do it justice, weird color.  Now if I can reproduce this reliably, I might be able to join the ranks of the Texas brisket masters like CT.  I'm not declaring anything unless I pull it off a few more times.

·
  • Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 799
    Nice job! I've buggered up 2 briskets so far and just don't have the fortitude to destroy another..
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
  • Thanks y'all.  The pictures didn't really do it justice, weird color.  Now if I can reproduce this reliably, I might be able to join the ranks of the Texas brisket masters like CT.  I'm not declaring anything unless I pull it off a few more times.
    you are well on your way with that one.hell, you kicked my ass this weekend. Mine was a dud.

·
  • People will drive for miles and stand in looong lines just to eat brisket like that.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,426
    @nola-Home-run for sure.  Congrats on nailing it!
    Louisville
    ·