Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New member-first post

Howdy,

Wanted to get the first post out of my way and say hi from the Pacific Northwest. I had some trouble getting approved, so I've become intimately familiar
with the search function and have been reading, and egging, my butt off for the last 3-4 weeks. I've used a Weber Genesis for the last 7 or 8 years,
but have heard good things about the Egg. I'm on another forum, non-related, with Fan of Fanboys ( who I want to thank for the help while I waited to get approved) and SickEyeDiaz, and after reading their posts and hearing about this community, I pulled the trigger on a LBGE. Since then I've scored a PSWoo3,Wok, Pizza Stone and just recently scored one of the open box ThermaPens.

My wife about beat me with her shoe when she found out how much coin I was dropping.....then I smoked a pork butt, which out of it provided some killer pulled pork sandwiches, and then carnitas tacos a night or two later. She is now a believer and supports this endeavor.

Since then I've nailed salmon

Turkey Thighs and Drumsticks

wonky shaped, but delicious pizza

Plus skinless chix breasts multiple times that have come out great.

The only thing that didn't come out spectacular was a stuffed pork loin I made. It was a little dry....not a disaster,
but enough for me to realize I needed a better thermometer..which has been taken care of.

Tonight....I've got pork and beef ribs smoking right now..have been at about 215 for 3 hours...will probably pull them
after about 5 to 5.5 hours.

I have two labs..Otis and Stew, am drinking a New Belgium Rampant IIPA and have listened to Credence Clearwater Revival, Eric Dolphy's 1963 Illinois Concert and Refused today. I also like to fish, kayak and watch MMA.

There!

Battle Ground, WA
Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,667
    Nice. Welcome... Get involved.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Nice, but you left out your sign! Welcome!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,388
    Dude.. You're a pro already.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Your food looks great!  Welcome!  Make yourself at home.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    Welcome aboard! From the looks of it you are off to a fine start. It'll only keep getting better and better, as well as easier and easier.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Great-looking cooks!  Welcome aboard.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,767

Welcome aboard!  Nice pics; awesome looking turkey!

Where in PNW?

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • thanks much for the warm welcome......

@dragonwmatches ; My sign is Open for Business

@jaydub58   ; SW Washington....about 30 minutes outside of PDX
    Battle Ground, WA
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,460
    Welcome & enjoy the cool-aid.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    Welcome to the addiction
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SickEyeDiazSickEyeDiaz Posts: 161
    About time you got on here LOL! A big hearty welcome from a fellow UG'er.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,870
    Welcome aboard-you have definitely sorted it out!  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • SickEyeDiazSickEyeDiaz Posts: 161
    @ bud812 you're from Stockton?

Home of my favorite fighting brothers!

@ sodigthisbigcrux it's amazing how nice people are on here compared to the UG. Night and day difference. I didn't think it was possible for a message board to be as relatively troll-less as this one.
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 715
    Welcome and nice cooks. Always appreciate a guy who is beer snobby enough to drink his beer out of different shaped glasses!
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • @SickEyeDiaz ; yeah man, I've been pretty impressed by this place as I've been lurking for the last few weeks. UG has its charm though...when its up and running....and btw, Nate and Nick are two of my faves as well. Really hope the rumor about Nick and Maia are true

@Spaightlabs  ; I'm an econo snob...both those glasses were had at the Dollar Store. Although I do have some nice glass wear from DogfishHead, Chimay and North Coast Brewing that I break out from time to time. I do enjoy my IPA and IIPA's
    Battle Ground, WA
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Looks like you hit the ground running, welcome to the club!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Sounds like you are off and running. Welcome aboard.

• grEGGorysgrEGGorys Posts: 166
    Welcome to a great club. Good looking cooks. Looking forward to more great pictures.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,029
    edited July 2013
    @Centex, I wish you said.. “The force is strong in this one..."

Welcome! Have fun and keep posting and drinking. :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,127
    Great cooks! I was about to ask about the brews, until I scrolled down. Good stuff.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 196
    Welcome again and your off to a nice start.  Happy egging....

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • VanDawg38VanDawg38 Posts: 43
    Great opening post. Vancouver's home for me.
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    A big Alabama howdy to you. Welcome aboard.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .