Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Ribeye, Onion Sausage and more...

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves tonight.  We stopped by the "Happy Butcher" earlier today and picked up a nice thick dry aged ribeye and 4 links of onion sausage.  We split the steak since it was so big.  The Happy Butcher dry ages all his rib roasts for a minimum of 21 days I believe.  Not sure how many days this one aged, but it had an incredible flavor.  It had outstanding marbelization too. 

I started by grilling up the Onion Sausage, since I wanted that cooked at a lower temp.  He makes them in his shop, and the flavor is amazing. 

Grilled up the sausage until they hit an internal temp of 162 deg f....shooting for 160, so that was close enough.  :)  Then it was time for the Ribeye Steak.  I seasoned that down with Kosher Salt, Cracked Pepper and Cayenne Pepper.  Then brought the BGE to a dome temp of about 500 deg f give or take.

I'm going low carb again in order to shed a few pounds, so there weren't too many carbs at all in this meal.

The flavor of the dry aged ribeye was insane.  They have a beefy richness that is out of this world.  The onion sausage is also delicious.  I'd go back to the Happy Butcher just for the sausage alone.  The steaks are a little pricey at $16.99 per pound, but they are a nice treat every so often.  I actually have a good setup for dry aging at home, and have done it a couple times already, but I didn't have any dry aged steaks on hand tonight.  I keep intending to buy a whole rib roast to dry age myself.....may do that on payday next week.  ;)

Comments