Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Thermapen Users

Options
I know a lot of folks bought some T-pens from the previous Thermapen worth it post and the recent open box sale.  I have used my new backlit Thermapen for three cooks and agree that it is the bomb.  Nailed some porterhouse steaks tonight which I could not have done previously.  Wondering how the other new T-pen folks are doing?  Definitely has improved my cooks and I thank all for their input.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    Mine, just like my egg, is still in the box. I haven't finished my table yet. Mainly just need to apply the finish. The other problem is that my egg is at home in IN and I am in TX. Kinda makes it harder to get it all done :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Give it a try with other tasks, like making tea or coffee. You'll be amazed at how much it improves everyday things.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    One of the best investments you can make. A must have in my opinion. The backlit is a great addition. I luv mine!!
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Just got mine in the mail today.  Testing it tomorrow.  Roast beef for deli meat and then chicken for dinner.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• sporktaor
    sporktaor Posts: 16
    Options
    Maverick is great to get you close, thermapen will make sure you are dead on, especially for bigger cuts wher you need to probe more. Like my egg, wish I would have bought it sooner.
  • billsme
    billsme Posts: 42
    Options
    I got mine this week as well with the open box buy. Cooked some split chx breast raised direct and reverse seared a tri tip, both landed spot on. I could open egg quickly and check temp without burning my hand and then close it right back up. I now get the hype......
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I'm looking to get a thermapen, where is the best place to get one?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Right from the source - Thermoworks. They have specials now and then where you can get them for $80-ish.
    Options
    Absolutely love mine. Did a tenderloin yesterday. The mav showed the temp rising quickly from 59 up to 81 in about 15min. Kept checking with the pen and could tell where the meat was cooler than the mav probe. I could probe into it with the pen and withdraw it slowly and see the temp go up or down 2-10 deg as it moved through the meat. The mav got me close but the pen was the detail.
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Also they are great for baking. You can flip bread over and take a temp to know if its done or not. (bottom wont let your moisture out via the hole)
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I use my thermapen for so many things both on the egg and in the kitchen. Just to be able to check the temp of a piece of meat in the sauté pan and catch it at done rather than dead. This is one of the single tools that has improved my cooking immensely.

My daughter is getting ready to head back to college and I am thinking that I need to get one for her before she leaves.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Bought one a month or so ago, liked it so much that I bought the backlit version last week and am going to give my first one to my brother. (I don't think the backlit were out when I first ordered mine)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Options
    Had to cook a dozen turkey burgers for a small party. Cooked 'em all to 165 internal. Perfection!! Everybody thought I was a master griller.
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith