Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Oh my dough! Pizza success

paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,330
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I can't remember the last time I made pizza on the egg but today was a huge success. We forgot to buy sauce so we used taco sauce instead.

1000 grams 00 flour
650 grams water
10 grams of salt
1 pack yeast (8 grams)

Proofed the yeast in the water heated @ 100F for 10 minutes. Mixed everything in the kitchen aid for 2 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Mixed again for 5 minutes and reduced speed for 2 more minutes. Placed the dough in an oiled bowl covered with a damp dish towel in the oven @ proof setting.

Split the dough in half.

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,266
    Looks perfect- how was the taco salsa?
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • yvrbasedyvrbased Posts: 13
    What temp did you cook at and what set up did you use? I only wish for successes like that.
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,330
    @Wolfpack The taco sauce was great, we will do it again for sure!

You have an interesting mix/rest/mix process, will have to try that, thanks!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    edited July 2013
    @yvrbased The temp was between 650-700 while the plate setter and the stone were in the egg and well over 900F before adding the plate setter. The stone was allowed to heat for 45-60 minutes.

Plate setter legs up in pswoo2 with stone on woo extender.

Here's a picture of my setup:

Looks beautiful!  Does your oven actually have a setting to let the dough rise?  What temp does it keep? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 930
    Nice looking pies, good job
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
    @Botch The resting period is a common technique called autolyse.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/lessons/tentips_8_autolyse

@SmokeyPitt Yes, my oven has a setting to proof bread. I am not sure what the temperature setting is but it is low. Probably arround 25C

How many / what size pizzas did that make?  650g is a bit more than 2 cups of water, which by my recipe would make a little more than 2 16' pies.
    ·
    @njl I usually make 3-4 pies with this recipe. Today, I used more dough and only made 2 pies. Today's pies were much thicker than the ones I usually make. Also, I just realized that I used half the salt that I usually add and it was still good.

Looks great. Nice and airy looking dough. Nicely done!!

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • yvrbasedyvrbased Posts: 13
    I can not wait to try. Looks amazing.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Nice looking pies. How long did you let it rise in the oven?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,597
    paqman said:
    @SmokeyPitt Yes, my oven has a setting to proof bread. I am not sure what the temperature setting is but it is low. Probably arround 25C
    That's a nice feature to have.  My oven has a warming drawer I might try next time I make dough if I can get it around the correct temp. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    ·
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 204
    We use this to proof our dough. Perfect humidity and temp control. http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Bread-Proofer-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B005FCZMU6/ We keep our house pretty cool year round and this does the trick.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
    ·
    @Griffin The dough was @ proof setting in the oven for about 2 hours

paqman said:

That's a nice feature to have.  My oven has a warming drawer I might try next time I make dough if I can get it around the correct temp. 

@SmokeyPitt Be careful with the warming drawer. I have a warm setting on my oven as well and it is much more warmer than the proof setting.

paqman said:
    paqman said:
    @SmokeyPitt Be careful with the warming drawer. I have a warm setting on my oven as well and it is much more warmer than the proof setting.
    Thanks for the tip...I'll use my maverick to see just how warm it is.  

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    Very Nice! Where did you get the Caputo? Can't find it anywhere. I can get 00 flour, just not that brand.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • EggPowerEggPower Posts: 25
    Wow, looks awesome!
    ·

Very Nice! Where did you get the Caputo? Can't find it anywhere. I can get 00 flour, just not that brand.

I got it from La Botega in Ottawa

2 days after making the dough, we used what was leftover to do calzones.

imageimageimage

...and cheese bread sticks