Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Weber charcoal grate

Has anyone ever used a 13.5" Weber charcoal grate as your cooking grate? It is designed to go in the 18" weber kettle and looks like steel, not stainless. It's coated in some type of oil, probably to prohibit rust. I saw it at Home Depot and it's a great size for throwing on coals down inside the fire ring. I am just wondering, is it SAFE to cook on?
When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!

Comments

• HibbyHibby Posts: 457
    It will work but will lose its shininess and rust quickly.
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,624
    Mine is totally rusted after 2 weeks.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Can I just keep it clean and coated with veggie oil?
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,186
    edited July 2013
    Can I just keep it clean and coated with veggie oil?
    Not if you throw it on the burning coals in the heart of an egg, the oil is toast in no time. If you clean it and oil it after every cook it might be OK, might as well get a stainless grid from a small, I know much more $$$ but no effort clean up. 

Or maybe the High-Q grate for a large or XL (if they make one) It will last a long time.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,662
    Mine hasn't rusted but I don't clean it. When it gets hot I brush it before cooking.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    Mine rusted after 1st cook
  • mikeb9550mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    Just reread your post. Sure it should be safe to eat on and yes, I would brush it and oil it after use. 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,532
    I use the 17.5 inch one as the top grid for my grid extender. The creosote keeps it rust free.