Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Thermometer Crash?

Options
So I was egging tonight, getting her fired up, getting ready to cook some beef kabobs with chimichurri sauce (BGE cookbook - fantastic). I was waiting for the dome to come up to 450. It got to 400, and suddenly as I was sitting there watching it, the bottom fell out of the temperature. Needle quickly fell back to zero. Anyone else ever have this happen?
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Most likely the bi-metallic coil in the thermometer broke.  Fairly common in bi-metallic (almost all mechanical) thermometers.  If that's the case, it's ruined.   86 it and buy another.
    Options
    Most likely the bi-metallic coil in the thermometer broke.  Fairly common in bi-metallic (almost all mechanical) thermometers.  If that's the case, it's ruined.   86 it and buy another.
    Oh I'm pretty sure it's done, no question. Is there something better I could replace it with? Not saying this will happen again, but if I need to buy a new one....
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It was probably defective, or you wrapped it around one too many times.  How old is it?  There's some kind of warranty, maybe you can get a replacement under it.
    Options
    Check it out to see if it was the BGE version or a Tel-Tru. Most eggs sold over the past couple of years have Tel-Trus, which were the common replacement when the BGE thermo quit. Some have had a Tel-Tru for years with no issues, others it quits in a year or two. Like Nola says, garbage and get a new one. 
    I suggest if you do clean burns, take it out. The bi-metalic in my Broil King gasser is over 12 years old, it is a Tel-Tru (or so it says) and is still working fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,956
    Options
    Definitely a Tel Tru. My Egg is less than a year old.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Less than a year, it is under warranty, I think.....
    Ask your dealer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Using skiddy's link, you have one year, according to that warranty. 

"5. TEMPERATURE GAUGE AND GASKET: Gaskets and the Temperature Gauge carry a Limited One (1) Year Warranty to the original purchaser."
    Options
    I had one fail like your thermometer did. Mine was over a year old so I bought a replacement from Tel Tru for around $25.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    @nola, is there really no other alternative? A digital one which can handle the heat? There ought to be one in the industrial world, surely.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Aviator said:
    @nola, is there really no other alternative? A digital one which can handle the heat? There ought to be one in the industrial world, surely.
    Just about every kiln and oven made now days has a digital thermostat.  Look at Thermoworks web site - they make probes that are rated well over 1000 F.  You can certainly put a thermocouple in the dome thermo hole and use a digital thermometer.