Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freshly cracked black pepper

Options
Fess up-do you freshly crack your black pepper for rubs or use the pre-ground stuff? I don't mind cracking some, but to get enough to rub ribs or a butt with, I get pretty sore pretty quickly.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I usually make enough rub to last me a season, and leave the black pepper out (even if you grind it yourself, it'll be dust by the end of fall).  
    If I want the black-pepper flavor on what I'm cooking, I grind just enough for that dish.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If the pepper is cooked heavily, I'll just use course grind from a jar.  Everything else, I fresh grind.

You can do what Alton brown did - connect your drill to the pepper grinder and quickly grind large amounts of corns.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    When I made pepper stout beef I used my coffee grinder and it worked really well.  Not sure the coffee will taste the same though :)...haven't used it for coffee since.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Fresh ground. Doesn't seem that difficult...
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When I made pepper stout beef I used my coffee grinder and it worked really well.  Not sure the coffee will taste the same though :)...haven't used it for coffee since.  

It's worth getting a mill grinder for "other-than-coffee" grinding.  I actually bought one and dedicated it to grinding lump.  I make carbon black as a pigment for my wood projects (I like black filler in recycled cypress). 
    We don't even have pre-ground in the house, I don't think.  Grinding peppercorns and 12 oz. curls are pretty much my only exercise.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    If I'm using it as a stand-alone ingredient like on a rib roast or steaks or in a one-off application then I grind it.  If it is in a mix like a rub then I don't grind. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    You know, this is a case of thinking too hard and not hard enough all at the same time. I have a spice grinder that I use for cumin, coriander, etc, but it didn't occur to me for peppercorns because I have a pepper grinder. Duh. *slaps forehead vigorously*
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    For ground pepper I use a pepper mill or spice grinder. For cracked pepper, mortar and pestle.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Take the top off and attach to a battery drill. Works great.
  • Stev
    Stev Posts: 36
    Options

buy a coffee grinder for spices only....pepper corns specifically and make your own rubs, jmho

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I grind exclusively.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I grind exclusively.
    There's evidence to the contrary now that I found out your wife is pregnant with a 2nd child.... ;)
    Options
    @nolaegghead, There is a Ginuwine song running through my head right now. Something about ponies and riding activities.